PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4A: w/s to convertable top attach?

Steve P.
07-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Were there two different ways that the covertable tops on TR4A's attached to the windshield? On the car I just bought, the convertable top header rail has two levers, and pegged posts, but the windshield has brackets that look like they require something different. I'm stumped!

Mickey Richaud
07-29-2004, 01:16 PM
The other brackets may be for a hardtop - perhaps an aftermarket item?

Mickey

Kurtis
07-29-2004, 02:17 PM
I don't know about 4As, but my 4 has extra holes (plugged) for a surrey top. I know the 4A top attached a lot differently than the 4. I don't know about the surrey top, but since you mentioned brackets, I doubt this information has much relevance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kurtis

Larry4A
07-29-2004, 07:21 PM
I took two 4A's apart and both had the peg posts with throw levers and suitcase style latches on the header rail, and the top of the winshield frame had female post recesses with the stubs that would catch the suitcase style latch. These pieces were held to the top , inner side of the windscreen frame with just two metal screws. Both tops of the windscreen frame also have the rubber plugged openings but they do not come into play for soft top securement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Steve P.
08-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Found the real answer in the Victoria British catalog I just received. The top and top frame on my TR4A is actually from a TR250. They are identical except for the front rail. Rather than using two suitcase style latches to attach the top to the windshield frame, there are a pair of swing levers with pinned posts that go into holes in the top of the windshield frame. Unfortunatly for me, the holes in my windshield frame are not setup to accept the pinned posts.
Hopefully there will be a TR250 at the Palo Alto Brit car show next month so I can see exactly what the differences are in the windshield frame.