PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A newbie with TR3

jayhawk
07-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Hi folks-- Just an intro. I bought a 1960 TR3 just a couple months ago-- about 35 years after owning a 1959 as a young guy. This one has no rust and a strong engine but lots to work on. The good part is that I can drive it while I'm fixin'. I've owned 5 MGB's, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif a '66 sprite (actually wife's), a 356B porche coupe and a ton of VW's (still have a 62 bug convert). I have lots to learn and hope I'll be able to get help and share what I can as I fix up this one.

Bugeye58
07-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the best Brit Car forum going. There are quite a number of folks with TR3 experience on these boards, all willing to share.
Jeff

aeronca65t
07-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Welcome!
You and I owned our first TR-3s around the same time!

Webb Sledge
07-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to be. Everyone here is a really nice and knowledgeable.

Geo Hahn
07-28-2004, 02:23 PM
35 years is a long time to wait between TR3 rides -- glad you came back. A rolling restoration is a great way to go as it takes a lot less patience and offers immediate gratification.

Steve
07-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Welcome aboard.....my dad has a '59 TR3 in pieces in his garage, I keep working on him to start restoring it.

Dave_H
07-28-2004, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi folks-- Just an intro. I bought a 1960 TR3 just a couple months ago-- about 35 years after owning a 1959 as a young guy. This one has no rust and a strong engine but lots to work on. The good part is that I can drive it while I'm fixin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, welcome! I'm curious where you bought the car and how hard it was to find one in that kind of shape. What kind of work does it need? I'm hoping to buy one in the next year and in some ways would like one to ride/restore but at the same time it would be nice to skip the hard work and get one already restored so I can just enjoy it...period.

jayhawk
07-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Hi Dave-- saw your newbie post as well. I looked on and off for about a couple of years but it seemed like when I had some money from the sale of one of my other toys, I couldn't find one in my price range (cheap). As soon as I bought another car (like another MG or somethin') I'd see a triumph I might buy. This time I "borrowed" from savings (with wife's ok) when I saw one and then sold my current toy (at the time, an older miata). My TR3 has hail damage; everything it seems, was loose; the only way the previous owner could start it was with ether; it was dirty; the fuel gauge had no glass and no needle, the turn signals didn't work, it was hard to turn, dash lights didn't work, horn didn't work, it had a dent in the front apron and grille, the hood didn't open very easily, the rear shocks were new but loose and made lots of racket, dash material was peeling away and the car pulled badly to the right when brakes were applied. But-- it had no rust, engine was strong, tranny, tires, seats, and glass were good, and it seemed to have potential. From 20 feet away it looks great and I get lots of thumbs up. I fixed a whole bunch of those things within the first 3 weeks and as time and money allows am addressing the others with a Brit car restorer her in the midwest. Paint will be the last thing and I will do the dent repair and prep over time, but have a garage do the spraying.