PDA

View Full Version : Still smoking!

henald
07-27-2004, 12:47 AM
ok, here goes: bought '79 spitfire, ($200.00!) found no compression so done a ring job, fired her up but she smoked like the dickens! (white smoke) i figured the cylinder head needed work so, had valve job performed (hot tanked,fluxed, valves, guides,etc. all done), installed new head gasket, put everything back together fired her up and she still smoked! this time not white, blue or black smoke just lots and lots of exhaust(?) what the H*** is happening? i did notice the EGR stuff is ALL PLUGGED (see previous post) but that's not enough to produce lots of smoke is it? btw the cat is brand new and she does run rich. any advise would only help. thanks guys.

Steve
07-27-2004, 12:55 AM
Running rich will make the cat run hotter than it should be. This is designed to catch any unburned fuel, and so any escaping through the system is being burned off in the catalytic converter. Could well be the reason for all the smoking still.

MDCanaday
08-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Sometimes too much oil is used in the assembly process, this is Very bad when you want your new rings to seat in a reasonable amount of time.Perhaps if you drive it for a few hundred miles it may calm down.....
MD(mad dog)

mailbox
08-02-2004, 10:04 PM
If the exhaust pipes are full of oil or antifreeze, it might smoke until all fo this has burnt off. Just a thought.

XK4
08-07-2004, 12:22 AM
I don't know if it is possible for you to do, but you might want to remove the Cat and replace it with a short piece of straight exhaust pipe until you figure out whats causing the smoking.
Dumping rich fuel mixtures and oil into the cat may cause damage to it.
After you figure out what the source of the black (gas) and blue (oil) smoke is and fix the problem, then reinstall the cat.