PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A show me a tr4 with 205/65-15" tires-please

trfourtune
03-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi all,
if anyone out there has a tr4,4A,5,250 with 205/65-15" tires on it, can you show me pics or directions to pics.
Also i would like to know if fender mods are required or any other clearance issues.
please only show pics or respond to exact thread-no tr6's please and no hear-say, only first hand knowledge.
thanks
Rob

Brosky
03-06-2009, 09:25 PM
This will get you very close:

TR250 wit h 205/70/15 Redlines (https://www.britishcarforum.com/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=TR6+Make+your+own+Redlines)

glemon
03-07-2009, 12:46 AM
I got 205/65s for my TR250 as well, unfortunately can't show you because the car is not done, but good to see the picture of the TR250 with the 205/70s, if they fit the 65s, with a slightly smaller diameter and same width, should be good.

PeterK
03-07-2009, 09:01 AM
It really depends on the rims you will be using. What width backspacing, etc.?

We run 205/60's on our TR3A with very little problems on KN 15x5.5 rims (I think 4" b.s.). We had slight rubbing issues on the rear leaf spring but only on one side and used 1/8" spacers.

Also on the front on our live axle TR4A with the same set of rims/tires, I had a slight rub from the inside edge of the rim on the upper control arm corner - I filed off the corner of each upper rear control arm and also added 1/8" spacer to get clearance. No fender rubbing. The 4A has 1" lowered front springs also. IRS has different issues in the rear, especially if you have tube shock conversion, then that differs too depending on what conversion you use.

Sorry I cannot provide an exact duplicate to answer you directly but please also post the rim specs and if IRS of solid axle, spring specs... Someone might have the same config as you.

KVH
03-07-2009, 11:58 AM
This is an old subject, and each time I go through the threads I'm led to believe that any tire larger than 165/15, the stock factory tire, is potentially dangerous on the regular 4.5 inch wide wheel. In other words, for a TR4 you can't assume a TR6 or other tire will work. I've also heard stories of broken stub axles and other problems from wider tires, and from wider wheels.

However, I've also read, perhaps here, that a slightly wider tire on a 4.5 inch wheel is fine. Someone once posted the "widest" that would be safe on the 4.5 inch rim.

I think I saw some great looking Khumos on this forum. And Vredesteins.

Can anyone re-educate us on that issue?

Brosky
03-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Kent,

As you can see in the picture, that 250 has mag wheels that are definitely not 4.5" wide. I felt I was pushing it with the 205/70/15 Goodyears on my 5.5" TR6 wheels and when I went to the 205/60/16. I obviously went with 7" wheels.

I agree with you on anything beyond stock size on those original narrow wheels.

KVH
03-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Yes, thanks, that sounds right. On that subject, do you know if it's possible to go up to a 5.5 rim on a TR4 without changing the stub axle?

Brosky
03-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Hmmmmmm????? Good question that I do not have an answer for.

trfourtune
03-07-2009, 12:29 PM
First,
this topic is not about wheels.
However, stub axles break because of RACING tires that have WAY more grip than street tires, but you never know with some of the new DOT sticky tires. The WHEEL width has nothing to do with it. You can put on a tr6 6" wide wheel without problems on a tr4. Put on some hoosier speedster racing tires on and watch out, now you need the southwick axle conversion.

thanks for the pictures Brosky.Sweet. Some 205/65-15 tires have an outside diameter of 25.5". I think the original tires were 25.4", depends on the actual tire, not the size listing-they vary.
rob

TR3driver
03-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Yes, thanks, that sounds right. On that subject, do you know if it's possible to go up to a 5.5 rim on a TR4 without changing the stub axle? Should be no problem. I've been running 5.5" wheels on my TR3A for some 100,000 miles with stock spindles. I did replace one spindle about the time I switched wheels, but it had some 150,000 miles on it already and the only problem was that it had gone a bit oblong at the outer end (allowing the bearing race to move slightly up and down). The other one is still original AFAIK.

The wider wheels do put some extra force onto the outer bearing and spindle end, because the increased wheel offset moves the line of force outward as well. But those spindles are the same ones used in the TR6 with wide offset wheels and a much heavier engine (which also increases the force), so they are up to the job.

That said, the "uncle jack" upgrade looks good to me, and I'll be installing mine the next time I visit the front spindles. Now that I've got a 20 ton press, they'll be a LOT easier to change!
https://www.zeni.net/trf/TR6-250GC/119.php

TR3driver
03-07-2009, 02:11 PM
This is an old subject, and each time I go through the threads I'm led to believe that any tire larger than 165/15, the stock factory tire, is potentially dangerous on the regular 4.5 inch wide wheel. Yeah, "potentially". Having the tread wider than the rim forces the sidewall to work at an angle, which reduces the tire's ability to carry the weight. However, our cars are light enough that our tires are usually rated to carry far more than the weight we put on them, and so some loss is not a problem. I've run 185/65-15 tires on stock 4.5" TR3 wheels, and they worked just fine. Of course, handling is also less than it would be with the wider wheels, but since the 185s were much higher performance tires than anything available in 165-15, they still worked better than skinny tires.

However, many tire shops will refuse to install tires on anything narrower than the rated rim size, and AFAIK no tire wider than 165 is rated for a 4.5" rim.

TR6oldtimer
03-07-2009, 05:26 PM
I ran 6 inch or so rims on a TR4 for years and never had a problem. I actually expanded them myself and went with SP190 Dunlaps in the day. (at least I think they were SP190s that was in 1966 so a little foggy)