PDA

View Full Version : TR6 More TR6 Questions

Webb Sledge
07-25-2004, 03:59 PM
I've got 2 more questions:

1. What is the correct color for the front indicator lamps on a 1972 TR6? In Moss it states that in 1976 they made the whole lamp amber, where as in all the previous years they had been split white/amber. However, I've seen many pre-76 TR6s that have all amber front lights. Did Moss make a mistake?

2. In my friend's '72 TR6, the oil pressure seemingly drops (according to the gauge in the dash) when he gives the car gas. It seems to me like the oil pressure would go up as the revs increased. I don't remember the exact number, but it would stay in one place when cruising at a certain speed, and then drop when it accelerated. Is this correct? Also, what is normal oil pressure in a Triumph at idle?

sammyb
07-25-2004, 06:23 PM
1. I won't tackle number one. I'll leave that to a TR6 owner.

2. Any car should have increased oil pressure under acceleration. If the gauge is showing decreased oil pressure under acceleration, one of two things is happening: 1) the gauge or the sending tube is broken (check for oil dripping where the line connects to the back of the gauge or where the line goes into the engine.) 2)The oil pump is failing. This would be a very, very, very bad thing, since it would indicate the engine is starved for oil under acceleration. I've never heard of this happening on a TR, because usually an oil pump just fails, and you lose pressure across the board.

Oil pressure will vary for temperature and oil grade, but you basically want any TR to be not much less than 30 at warm idle. It can be much higher if you're using a straight 50wt racing oil. A loose, drippy TR six cylinder will generally show 30-40 at cold start, then when warm will drop down to 15 or so at idle. Usually, these cars will start to get oil-fouled plugs.

I'm not a mechanic, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Stinky
07-25-2004, 10:06 PM
I read somewhere that all the U.S.A. cars had Amber lenses.
The occasional lens you may see that has a white part, and an Amber part, came from the U.K. cars.
There was a set of those U.K. lenses on Ebay in the last week, and that's the way they explained it,...I guess they read the same book I read /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Webb Sledge
07-25-2004, 11:53 PM
Maybe I was reading the gauge wrong. His TR is a 1972, and the gauge would always swing to the left when he gave it gas. When it swung left it would point to lower numbers. Was I reading it wrong or is the gauge messed up?

Kurtis
07-26-2004, 12:02 AM
Sounds like you were looking at the ammeter.

Kurtis

Webb Sledge
07-26-2004, 12:40 PM
No, it was definitly the oil gauge, that is, if the oil gauge is the one the is in the midle of the dash, and in the middle left of that cluster of 4 gauges, and has OIL written on it in big letters.

Rick O.
07-26-2004, 12:54 PM
1. 100% amber with chrome outline.
2. Dropping oil pressure with increasing RPM is abnormal. I'd suspect the oil pressure relief valve assembly (plunger and/or spring) is somehow involved. Does the car have the spin-on oil filter adapter or the external oil feed line to the head?

Webb Sledge
07-26-2004, 01:09 PM
It's the oil pressure relief valve. My boss said it needed a new one of those. Would having driven the car for a while without a new oil pressure relief vavle hurt the car?

Rick O.
07-26-2004, 01:20 PM
As long as you had some pressure, I don't think any harm was done. Ask your boss whether the replacement relief spring will be standard or uprated (stiffer spring = higher oil pressure).

I have about 12K miles on a complete engine rebuild and my oil pressures have never been below 60 hot. Cold idle it's around 80 psi.