PDA

View Full Version : Austin Sprite in USA??

glemon
02-23-2009, 09:13 PM
I have read books that said the Sprite was continued after the contractual agreement with Donald Healey was Severed, and they were marketed as Austin Sprites, as I recall for a year or two and not too many made, maybe 1970-71?

Anyway, I have also read that they were not imported to the USA, but I remember seeing one, had the blacked out rocker panels, which had "Sprite" on them in chrome letters.

This was probably 20 or more years ago, unlikely the car was specially imported, but possible I guess.

Anyway, my question, anyone else remember seeing Austin Sprites in the USA? Or have the definitive answer as to whether they were imported here?

spritenut
02-23-2009, 09:42 PM
The badges for the rockers and the Austin Sprite boot and grille badge were readily available thru the 80s.
I have NOS SPRITE rocker badges and a large boot lid badge.
I never did get the Austin Sprite grille badge which went were the MG badge was on the grille.
Austin Sprites did not have the bonnet wings.
So it was an easy conversion back in the day.

scoutll
02-23-2009, 09:51 PM
From what I have read, only the last 1022 ( I think) made in 1971 were Austin Sprites, and they were all right hand drive models sold in the UK. Not absolutely sure about this. I can't remember where It was.

Whitephrog
02-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Austin Sprites were ANN10-XXXXX produced from January through July 1971. 1022 were produced all RHD for the home market.