PDA

View Full Version : Weights

Webb Sledge
07-24-2004, 04:34 PM
i'm looking at a spec sheet for a TR6 from Moss and it lists 3 different weights. It says:

Unladen Weight - 2160 lbs
Curb Weight - 2270 lbs
Gross Weight - 2755 lbs

What do all of those mean?

Mickey Richaud
07-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Hey Webb --

These are confusing, and there are probably several different definitions out there. But as I remember, unladen weight usually refers to the weight of the bare car in operable condition, and with five gallons of gas.

Curb weight refers to the car full of its normal extras (tool kit, spare tire, fuel, etc.), but no driver or passenger.

Gross weight includes the above plus passengers and reasonable amount of gear (what the car is designed to carry).

Again, the definitions vary, but this is pretty close, I think.

Mickey

Geo Hahn
07-24-2004, 06:34 PM
I 'think'...

Curb weight means with all fluids and equipment, but no passengers.

GVW is the maximum allowable weight (incl passengers, luggage, the 100 lbs of parts I carry in the boot, etc).

Not sure about 'unladen' -- looks a bit light for a 'dry' weight as the diffesrence would account for about 14 gallons of oil, fuel, coolant, etc.

90 XJ-S
07-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Unladen weight = Nothing but car and accesories no liquids

Curb weight + full tank of gas (er...petrol) water/antifreeze, windscreen washer fluid, no driver

Gross weight is the rated capacity of the suspension. In some cases it might not even be a realistic total vehicle weight... The reason trucks are also rated by individual axles.

Mike

sammyb
07-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Curb weight and unladen weight both include standard equipment only, not optional or dealer add-ons.

GVW takes into consideration an "average" passenger per open seat, and depending on when the car was designed, it can also include the maximum cargo weight.

In general, to figure out your car's weight, take the curb weight and add your weight, plus the weight of the options and other junk in your car.

Steve
07-26-2004, 02:57 PM
And deduct a few pounds (or more) depending on the amount and size of the rust holes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Webb Sledge
07-26-2004, 03:02 PM
You also have to take into account the stuff that will fall out of the rust holes while you're driving.

Steve
07-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Including yourself!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif