PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Aero 8

tcherek
02-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I cannot stress enough how much better the Morgan Aero 8 looks better in person than in photos! Still, I have posted a page of Aero8 photos taken at the L.A. Auto Show last month, at https://smogthis.net/indexaero8.html (Page also accessible from the main page at www.smogthis.net (https://www.smogthis.net) ) I am still a huge fan of the Plus 8, and furthermore, my own 60s 4-seater Morgan is nearing completion of its restoration, which I shall drive with the utmost happiness, manual transmission and all.

Best wishes,

Tcherek

Steve
02-23-2004, 10:36 PM
The front of the car has grown on me, I will admit, although the back end seems a little too much like a Marcos to my eyes. I hope that the car does well over here. Glad you posted, you should visit more often, manual transmission and all!!

Sherlock
02-23-2004, 11:55 PM
I hope the Aero 8 does well too, Morgan has too much heritage that it would be a shame to see it all go up in smoke.

There was a good article in one of the British magazines, about the phase-out of Plus 8 production. The article said that even if the Aero 8 wasn't in production, it was increasingly difficult (almost impossible) to keep the Plus 8 current with new vehicle regulations. And the other issue is that the Rover V8 will not meet new standards coming into effect soon for new car manufacturing.

waltesefalcon
02-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Thats good that the aero looks better in person. I thought it looked pretty good in the pictues aside from the headlights. Hope it does well over here.

Cheers, graemlins/thirsty.gif graemlins/driving.gif
Walter

Basil
02-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Hey Tcherek, long time no see! One thing's for sure, you would get lots and lots of looks driving that baby around town!

Cheers,
Basil

graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tcherek
02-25-2004, 12:15 AM
I have to admit it - ANY Morgan is an attention grabber. I surreptitiously gave myself a stickshift lesson in what is destined to be my 4-seater. Nobody else would accompany me, so I decided to teach myself. As I lurched out of the driveway I nearly ran over a group of guys on bicycles. They all careened out of the way, and I was cringing to myself. I expected to be sweared at or worse, but all I heard was choruses of "Cool car!"

By the way, any fans of the traditional Morgan's looks are welcome to have a look at my calendar - I have posted photos at:
https://www.smogthis.net/2004/calendar_3.html

Any British Car Forum members can order a calendar for half off the stated price, and each calendar comes with a free "Women of Morgan" poster (sorry, strictly G rated.) Just contact me off list if interested - and be sure to let me know you are a BCF member to receive your discount....

-Tcherek

huck6
02-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know if Morgan will continue to produce the 4/4?

aeronca65t
02-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Morgan continues to build the 4/4, but not for U.S. importation. It's a pity, since the the four cylinder engine in the 4/4 is similar to the Ford Focus.
The only choice for a new Morgan in the U.S. is the Aero.
I really like Morgans, and I hope the company does well with the Aero, but to be honest, I've seen an Aero "in the flesh" and I prefer the old Plus 8.

78Z
02-26-2004, 02:04 PM
I thought the Aero was much better looking in person too. It also is a much smaller than you'd think from the pictures.

Sherlock
02-26-2004, 02:38 PM
From what I mentioned here previously, the Plus 8 is either out of production or being phased out as we speak - emissions issues with the Rover V8 (bye, bye Rover V8 for any new car now). And I suspect time and safety/vehicle regulations may have finally caught up with the old bodyshell as well, but I hope not... Funny, I thought I had read somewhere that the 4/4 was out of production for a few years now.

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>