PDA

View Full Version : Citroen.......getting funky again?

Steve
02-19-2004, 01:36 PM
For those of us who care images/icons/smile.gif

Just reading the factory website for the UK versions......they seem to have gone back to the wonderful fluid suspension etc for the big C5.

https://www.citroen.co.uk/level3/modelpage.asp?pagetype=C5
y?

Great news, maybe they will be allowed to revert to their old ways of leading the way in technolog

catfood
02-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Nice mechanics, shame about the styling.

I find this cab forward, high rear styling very clumsy looking. It gives the impression the rear end is trying to catch up with the front!

Steve
02-20-2004, 11:04 AM
I know what you mean.....however, it is preferable to some designs out there. Actually, the Americans, notably Chrysler, have been adopting this cab-forward design for a few years now. My wife's 300M had it, and several of their other cars have it too.

https://www.chrysler.com/300m/index.html?context=homepage&type=top

kindofblue
02-23-2004, 11:51 PM
I don't think Citroen has ever stopped using the hydropneumatic suspension on its top level vehicles. It costs too much for the lower end ones.

In the early 90s they had a nice vehicle we didn't get called the Xantia Activa. It used the hydro suspension to compensate for pitch and yaw. The car would lean into a turn instead of away adding to stability. Autos and Trucks are the only motorized vehicles that lean away from the direction they are turning....

Sherlock
02-24-2004, 12:02 AM
There was an interesting article recently about Citroens.

The suggestion they made was that from the 1970's through the 1990's Citroen was allowed to get boring and very un-innovative. They suggested (I think rightly so) that Citroen has always been an innovator more than any other French company since WWII, but that the innovation lapsed for a time. They ended by saying that Citroen seems to be have been allowed the ability to develop more innovation again in recent years.

Just paraphrasing from an article I read. I have very little knowledge of Citroen post-1973 as they have never been sold here since then, and Citroen generally has a low profile over here as a brand name except for the 2CV series.

catfood
02-25-2004, 05:35 PM
Steve,

As an aside to your Chrysler link I see that the price of a cooking model PT Cruiser in the US is available for $15580 in the US which translates to approximately 8400 as compared to a UK spec cooking model of 12995. 4595 seems a lot to pay for RHD and shipping (and a smaller engine) !

Steve
02-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Cars are much cheaper over here.....and hold their value for longer it seems. You can buy a Jaguar or a Range Rover here in America for less than you can buy them for in the UK. With left hand drive and shipping included!