PDA

View Full Version : Value of rebuilt 1275 Engine, new clutch & rib trn

Rep007
07-19-2004, 01:23 AM
Any guess as to the value of a newly professionally rebuilt 1275 Midget 1972 engine with new clutch mated to to the ribcase trans. Have one which I have invested $ to have rebuilt, now find myself no longer in need and need to sell. Any insights as to value appreciated.

Trevor Jessie
07-19-2004, 11:43 AM
I doubt you would get your money back out of it, unless someone buys it locally because they know and trust the person that rebuilt the engine. If trying to sell it locally, then it would certainly help if it was in a car. I'm very hesitant to buy a motor without seeing it run, unless it is from a local scrappy that I trust and offers some type of warranty.

screenprinter
07-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Rep,
1275 cc engines are pretty desirable especially to racers - you may try looking around or googling SCCA boards for wanted ads. There are things to consider tho - like trevor said it's hard to determine level of craftsmanship in engine building by looking at a unit - The buyer really doesn't know if the mechanic doing the work was Little Lord Fauntleroy or Jack the Ripper -

A couple of rough guidelines from my experience:

A rib case transmission, not rebuilt, as-is out of a junker should go from $150.00 to whatever the seler can get. Certified rebuilt with new synchs, bearings, gaskets and layshaft by a competent mechanic who knows? $500 and up - The Victoria British hole-in-my-wallet sells them rebuilt for around $1,100 + shipping (Ouch...)

The engine is hard to peg - it depends on a lot of things such as:

New pistons?
new cam? reground? cleaned up and re-installed?
New Valves, springs, guides, etc.?
New Timing chain?
Oil pump?

Again, Trevors spot-on - you'll probably never get out of it what you've put into it but a decent 1275 cc would bring $500.00 and up depending on mods and upgrades.

Last one I shed my self of was just the block and crank, not rebuilt and I swapped it even to a SCCA racer-type for whatever I wanted off his parts cars which amounted to:
2 decent front fenders
1 valence assembly
1 steering rack
2 front spindle assemblies ( With the hubs )
1 half-way decent convertible top frame.

I think I got the best of the deal, but he , no doubt thinks he took me - Personally I think all of us lbc owners are about half nuts!

So, check around, post it in a bunch of places - Try EBAY and put a reasonable reserve on it. Don't be in a rush to dump it - Like PT BArnum said "There's one born every minute"

Bugeye58
07-27-2004, 02:44 PM
About the only thing an SCCA racer would be interested in is the block. All the internals get changed to racing parts rather than performance parts. Quite a difference in quality and price.
Around here, (southern Michigan) a used rib case tranny goes for $25.00 to no more than $125.00, and the last 1275 I bought had a trans attached for $250.00 complete.

You will never get back the cost of the rebuild, just as you will never get a return on the cost of a vehicle restoration.
Sad, I know, but true.
Jeff

screenprinter
07-27-2004, 02:56 PM
Oh Man....$25.00 for a rib case tranny - I'm living in the wrong state - There must be a lot of them in your area, but down here they're like dragon scales - Everybody's seen em' but nobody's got em'

btw some SCCA guys down here in redneck land also use the crankshaft (after refinishing and balancing) and sometime the heads (after a thousand or so bucks worth of machine work) We're just country boys and cain't afford no 'Luminum Haids!

Bugeye58
07-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Yes, the cranks sometimes do get used, depending on the crank, but a lot of the gang has gone to nothing but billets.
The heads are good for a core, and you won't get much out of them. I have my head work done on the west coast, and it's cheaper for me to have them supply the head than it is for me to ship it cross-country as a core.
The aluminum heads aren't legal for SCCA road racing, and we're limited to stock valve sizes, as well.
Rib cases should be easy to find, as they fit every Spridget from '62 to '74.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread!

Jeff

screenprinter
07-27-2004, 03:35 PM
That's okay - I like reading

Banything that I can learn from - I'm not so hardheaded as to think I know it all - My dad used to tell me " It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts"