PDA

View Full Version : Painting,I knew better

Winston
07-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Just looking for some reinforcement of a stupid decision I recently made.
Let me begin in 1978 when I decided to paint our 1963 VW Microbus(wood paneling, ice box and fold down table).
Well I painted the bus a sporty green and swore I would NEVER paint an automobile again.
This past month I forgot that pledge and did just a little touch up.
I was in primer 2 weeks and am now thru my second 600 grit wet sand.
It's not right , nor will the areas painted ever match the other panels unless it sit's in the garage under an old tarp for 20 years.
This is just a bit of a rant because of a lesson forgotten from many years ago.
Leave the paint to the pro's.

Bugeye58
07-12-2004, 11:12 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif
Consider that a reinforcement of your decision to paint!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Did you have the paint mixed to color match, or just go with the original formula?
Jeff

Winston
07-12-2004, 11:20 PM
Ole Ruby is signal red. One of the local national suppliers sent me to their paint guy. We went to the parking lot and he cleaned a small area and scanned it with a hand held scanner about the size of the million watt hand held light.
We went back in and he set the device into a port of some sort and the computer took over.I should have known better , I have the original formula for signal red, the previous PO had repainted and he missed the mark.
So much for technology, sorry Basil.

Bugeye58
07-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Winston, I've had very good luck with the color matching guns. I've used both PPG's and Martin-Senour's on old paint and had a good match.
The ones I used gave a percentage number of the match to an existing paint code,along with the formula of the closest match.
Red is a tough color to match, however. That's where match panels come in handy.
Jeff