PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Fuel Pump Check Valves

Mkutz
12-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Merry Christmas All!

I've been having a recurring problem with my TR3 fuel pump check valves; the first set I used would pump no fuel at all, then the second set lasted about one month and now pumps nothing at all. I saw recently someone else was experiencing a similar problem -- anyone know where to get correct valves?

Brosky
12-24-2008, 03:19 PM
I just ordered some kits for some TR6 pumps that I'm doing from Tom at his business, Antique Auto Parts Cellar, 6 Chauncy St., South Weymouth MA 02190 781-335-1579.

I was given his info by another forum member and I find him to be extremely knowledgeable and he only deals with top quality parts that will with stand the new fuels. No website for him and NFI for me.

You will need the 4 digit number (or any numbers) that are on the pump.

Andrew Mace
12-24-2008, 03:38 PM
What about the old (original) ones? Maybe they'd still work....

TRopic6
12-24-2008, 06:17 PM
I rebuilt my pump in July (bad diaphragm) and noticed the new valves used a rubber 'flapper' where the original ones were a hard disc. One of my originals didn't seem to seat fully so I only used one of the new valves.

I'm having fuel delivery problems when the car idles for awhile in hot weather (this is Hawaii). Maybe the low-boiling fuel we now have (ethanol) is creating more backpressure that the new check-valve can seal against.

If this is becoming a common problem, I'd like to soak one of the new checkvalves in fuel to see if the rubber flapper distorts...only there's too much Christmas upheaval for me to find where I put the other valve. Anybody else want to try it?

Mele' Kalikimaka!

Jeff
2xTR6

Mkutz
12-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the lead Paul. I'll reach out to him tomorrow to see if he has a solution for me. Thanks!

angelfj1
12-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the lead Paul. I'll reach out to him tomorrow to see if he has a solution for me. Thanks!

Mkutz: I'm trying to find a replacement "black" diaphram for the 3A. See below.

https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/angelfj/DSC01848-r1.jpg

The diaphrams being sold these days are red and are not correct. If you are able to reach Tom I would be grateful if you ask him about this.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas

frank

TR3driver
12-25-2008, 12:26 PM
The kit I got from TRF just a few weeks ago has a black diaphragm; proper poppet type valves; and also includes the secondary seal for the shaft (NLA for many years) as well as a new screen and seal for the sediment bowl. P/N RFK1400.

martx-5
12-25-2008, 12:46 PM
That looks like the same kit I got from TRF maybe a year ago, as they were the only ones offering the secondary oil seal. Hopefully it has all the proper parts in it, as I only have about three hours on the engine. So far, so good. We'll see in the spring time.