PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Nippondenso Alternator

Hatman
12-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Does anyone know the part number for the Nippondenso alternator to use in a TR3 generator-to-alternator conversion? Searching here and doing a Google search turned up a couple of threads discussing the alternator, but none had any info on what Denso alternator they actually used. A part number would certainly make it easier to buy the right alternator. Anyone have?

Thanks.

Mark

DNK
12-18-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm not sure but I don't think it is a straight swap. There might be an adapter plate added to it that has clocking adaptability (huh) usually to it.

Hatman
12-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Understand that. Again, what I'm looking for is the <span style="font-style: italic">model number of the alternator</span>(or even the make/model or the car which the alternator fits). Everything I can find just mentions a "Denso alternator", but as there are dozens of Nippondenso alternators, I need more information.

DNK
12-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Mark- My bad. I didn't read your post thoroughly enough. I thought you were talking starters.
Sorry
My Bad.

TR4nut
12-18-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm using the typical 7127-3 alternator conversion on my TR4, but the NipponDenso does look a little more compact which should help on the TR3. I found one discussion of using a 35 amp unit on a TR4, model 10211-1660 which is for a Toyota forklift.

Here's a site showing pictures of remanufactured units: Alternators (https://www.vicic.com.tw/ap-001-Denso.htm)

The 35 amp unit (https://www.vicic.com.tw/alternators/vdi10351201.htm) has one mounting lug, but I wonder if this 40 amp unit (https://www.vicic.com.tw/alternators/vdi10401202.htm) with 2 mounting lugs would work. If you can find counter sales for these you probably could get a good idea if it would fit.

Randy

CinneaghTR
12-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Have you seen the Nippondenso alternator conversion kit from Standard Performance on eBay? I've been eyeing that for a while, but, like you, I did not find a specific number that would let me do a price comparison so I am still researching all of my alternator conversion options. The install kit looks neat, too.

Please share your findings once you get them.

Thanks,
Jeremy

martx-5
12-18-2008, 12:05 PM
OK, if the unit you're talking about is the one in the pic below, that is the industry Lester number 14684. It fits...

87-88 Chevy Sprint
89-95 Suzuki Samurai
89 Suzuki Sidekick

It's physically a very small unit rated at 50-55 amps. Besides the battery hook-up, it has a three terminal plug in. One is for the dash lamp, one is is for ignition turn-on, and the other is a dummy...it doesn't do anything.

Hatman
12-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Have you seen the Nippondenso alternator conversion kit from Standard Performance on eBay? I've been eyeing that for a while, but, like you, I did not find a specific number that would let me do a price comparison so I am still researching all of my alternator conversion options. The install kit looks neat, too.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Couldn't find anything on a eBay with a search, but in a roundabout way finally found this listing:

Item number: 220282950407

The fact that the guy misspelled "Nippondenso" didn't help . . .

Interesting kit, but pricey. Plus it looks like he's using a single-wire alternator, which isn't what I want.

martx-5
12-18-2008, 01:39 PM

Thanks,
Jeremy

Couldn't find anything on a eBay with a search, but in a roundabout way finally found this listing:

Item number: 220282950407

The fact that the guy misspelled "Nippondenso" didn't help . . .

Interesting kit, but pricey. Plus it looks like he's using a single-wire alternator, which isn't what I want.

The pic I posted above is the item number that you linked to from ebay. Read my post above, it's not a one wire alternator.

M_Pied_Lourd
12-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Hatman,

I have been looking at using this for my generator conversion.....

https://www.trparts.com/newitems/altkit.html

Would be interested to hear some opinions......price seems to be right at least.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

newmexTR3
12-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Does anyone sell just the conversion kit bits w/o the alternator?

martx-5
12-18-2008, 01:55 PM
That's the unit I used on my TR3. It's a Delco 10SI (Lester # 7127) that's just about as bullet proof as you can get. The alternator is available at any parts stores due to the number of GM cars built using that unit. You should be able to pick one up at your FLAPS for about 1/3 what the kit on ebay is selling for. If you're staying with original wide belt, you can use the pulley from your generator, but you will have to bore it out to 17mm (0.669"), as the shaft on the generator is 15mm.

martx-5
12-18-2008, 02:01 PM

I've been seriously considering doing such a thing. The biggest headache would be having the pulleys made for the wide belts.

TR3driver
12-18-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't have the info handy, but someone already makes a pulley that will fit the wide belt and an alternator shaft. I got the contact info from Herman van den Akker after seeing the pulley on his daughter's car, but I've probably managed to lose the business card it was scribbled on.

On my TR3A, I just had a local machine shop bore the original generator pulley to fit the alternator shaft. Cost $10 the first time (around 1975), $15 the second (maybe 10 years later).

Next time I'll do it myself :jester:

TR3driver
12-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I have been looking at using this for my generator conversion.....
Based on my experiences with a similar conversion (I used a Ford externally regulated alternator that is slightly smaller physically than the 10Si); I believe it is important to tie into the rear generator mount. Using just two points seems to let the alternator resonate at certain engine rpms, and the subsequent motion loosens bolts and shortens belt life. Once I added a long bolt and spacer to tie into the rear mount as well, all my other problems disappeared.

Judging by the photo, Art's conversion does not tie into the rear mount. Likely fine if you don't drive your TR much, but ...

TR4nut
12-18-2008, 02:28 PM
You can fab a small bracket to tie down the 10si to stabilize things, so far its worked well for me.

Here's a good source for the wide pulley, I used it on my GM alternator and it works great:
Quick Start Alternator Parts (https://www.alternatorparts.com/)

They also have what looks to be the alternator for TRs, maybe:
Nippondenso Lester 12184 55 amp alternator (https://store.alternatorparts.com/partno1243901ndreplacesnippondenso100211-693toyota27060-78305-71.aspx)

Now need to look for a cheaper remanufactured alternative..

Moseso
12-18-2008, 02:31 PM
This might be what you're looking for: https://store.alternatorparts.com/universalalternatormountingbracketsandaccessories. aspx

My story goes like this. I bought a Delco 10SI at Napa -- and got the pulley and "universal mounting kit" from the source above. Couldn't stuff it all in to my TR3. Dropped back 10 and punted. Got a 50 amp rebuilt Denso from the local rebuilder -- and switched to the narrow belt set-up. The bar-none biggest problem I saw looming was the paucity of belt sizes available in "wide" belts. The stock belt size was NOT gettin' it with that mounting system. I can get narrow belts in 1/2" increments. Presto! One that fits! One of the advantages of going the local rebuilder route was that when he pulled a perfect looking little alt off the shelf that had (as most of them do) a flat-belt pulley on it, I said. "Can I get a V-belt pulley on that?" He said. "Sure," grabbed a pulley out of a box full of 'em, sprayed it black and put it on the alt.

Hatman
12-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Got a 50 amp rebuilt Denso from the local rebuilder

Do you have the part number for the Denso alternator you used?

Hatman
12-18-2008, 03:13 PM
The pic I posted above is the item number that you linked to from ebay. Read my post above, it's not a one wire alternator.

I based that on the description of the seller, who notes it's a one-wire alternator. Here's the item number:

Item number: 200255550366

Do you have this alternator yourself and can verify it's a three-wire unit?

martx-5
12-18-2008, 03:27 PM

Item number: 200255550366

Do you have this alternator yourself and can verify it's a three-wire unit?

No, I do not have the Nippondenso unit in my TR3. I have the Delco 10SI. I work for a large rebuilder, and showed the picture to the alternator guru here. He instantly recognized what it was and gave me the info as I posted above. What makes you say it's a one wire??? If you look at the back view of the pic you will see a dark round section peeking out from the gray tin cover. That's where the extra wires plug in. It's a three terminal connector, two of which are used in this application.

PeterK
12-18-2008, 03:44 PM

All you really need is the GM alternator, a 7"long 3/8 bolt and wide belt pulley.

You can get the pulley here https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wide-belt...sQ5fAccessories (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wide-belt-pulley-5-8-3-4-670-bore-10SI-alternator_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2 el1116QQitemZ120313936595QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruck Q5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

ebay item #120313936595

I bought one from him years ago and he still lists them. Not a rare item at all. The belt is also a stock item at auto parts stores. Shout if you need the number but it's been discussed many times on this forum.

Hatman
12-18-2008, 03:50 PM
No, I do not have the Nippondenso unit in my TR3. I have the Delco 10SI. I work for a large rebuilder, and showed the picture to the alternator guru here. He instantly recognized what it was and gave me the info as I posted above. What makes you say it's a one wire??? If you look at the back view of the pic you will see a dark round section peeking out from the gray tin cover. That's where the extra wires plug in. It's a three terminal connector, two of which are used in this application.

Thanks for the info. As my post noted, my assumption that it was a one-wire unit was based on the seller's description of it, per the eBay listing I provided, as a "Nipondenso 60A alternator single wire," complete with the same pic you posted.

martx-5
12-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Sorry about that. Yes, that is what it says, so I'm sure that's what he is offering. It is quite possible that he is using a different regulator in there and running it as a one wire. I'll have to ask the gurus here if such a thing exists...I'm sure it does for some farm or industrial applications. There are many different regulators for these Nippondenso units that are all interchangable. The original unit pictured however never came with such a regulator, and I would advise against using it. The one wire alternators have too many drawbacks for use in a car. The only thing that makes them attactive is the ease of wiring it up. Adding two more wires to the mix is not a big deal, and both of them are already there in the car.

My take on this is to use an alternator that is readily available at your local parts store. The one being offered is essentially one that doesn't exist in the parts manuals, or if it does, it will be a unit that will be hard to come by. If you have a problem with it, then it would have to go back to a rebuilder for repair as an R&amp;R...more costly then an off the shelf unit. So, if you want to use the small Nippondenso unit, just ask for one fitting the applications that I cited earlier. BTW, that small Nippondenso unit has a 15mm rotor shaft, so your original generator pulley will fit without a having to bore it out.

Moseso
12-19-2008, 01:46 PM
My take on this is to use an alternator that is readily available at your local parts store.The only problem with this solution is that the person behind the FLAPS counter only responds when you ask for "an alt for a 1993 Geo Metro with the 1.3L motor, standard trans, no A/C." (For example only -- I have no idea if that's actually the right spec!) They have no idea where the "Denso 50 amp, small body, three wire alt" is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Do you have the part number for the Denso alternator you used?[/QUOTE]No. Sorry... That's why/how I wound up at the local auto-electric repair shop. He DID know where the "Denso 50 amp, small body, three wire alt" was. He was also readily able to swap out the pulley to a v-belt type, when the only problem with the "right" alt was that it had the wrong pulley on it. The guys at the FLAPS can't do that, and probably don't even have the right pulley for sale, if you want to do it yourself.

TR3driver
12-19-2008, 02:21 PM
The only problem with this solution is that the person behind the FLAPS counter only responds when you ask for "an alt for a 1993 Geo Metro with the 1.3L motor, standard trans, no A/C." Which I took to be the point; it's best to use an alternator that you know the common application for. Mine fits a 1968 Mercury Marquis with a 390 and automatic <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

This can still apply even if you have modified the case (as I did) or are using a custom pulley; as those items can be moved to a replacement alternator if necessary. BTDT