PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Front Brake issues TR6

hondo402000
12-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Well took the 6 out for a drive yesterday, went down the hill, applied the brakes and crap hardly any brakes, hand brake save me. the car pulled sharply to the right. went around the block, jacked up the left front and pulled the pads, saturated with brake fluid. I rebuilt the front calipers about 2 years ago and intalled new SS pistons and seals, Is there an issue with seals we are buying? looks like a new rebuild kit and new pads are comming, and the MC was a little low too

TR3driver
12-14-2008, 11:59 AM
What kind of fluid are you using ?

There was an issue years ago where the original factory seals were not compatible with American brands of DOT 3/4 brake fluid, only Castrol. But I've not heard of anyone having issues with that for many years. But just to play it safe, I would stick with either Castrol brand, or DOT 5.

hondo402000
12-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I only use castrol, when I replaced every thing on the brake system I blead it out with castrol, Is it possible the new SS pistons are a tad undersized? as i think back had no problem or leaks until I had to lock up the braked when a car tried to merge in on me and I had to hit the brakes hard