PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic crossing of the blue TR from PR

TRnorwegian
12-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi there,

For those who followed my battle to get my recently aquired TR6 out of Puerto Rico, I'm happy to report that it currently wrestes the high waves of the Atlantic, and docks in Rotterdam this friday.

Thanks to Gardener and Dale/ Tinster it finally left Puerto Rico two weeks ago, and has since then been visiting Jamaica, soon to visit Holland, then Germany, before it probably arrives in Norway the last day before Christmas.

Thanks you guys!

Anders

tdskip
12-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Well that will be a nice present Anders!

Good for you.

DNK
12-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Hope that wasn't your ship that sank outside the harbor there.

prb51
12-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Great Anders, glad the Somali Pirates didn't get it...some pics please.

Brosky
12-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Don,

You do like to lend a bit of cheer to the mornings here, don't ya?

Tinster
12-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Ah Anders?

Did your car carrier contractor mention that sometimes
the paint schemes of autos is "augmented" during
layovers in the souther Cribbean.

I cannot wait to see how the local boys "augment"
your dark blue TR6 !!

Yes, please send photos.

dale

https://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/TinsterTR6/carArt.jpg

TRnorwegian
12-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Yes, it would be a nice X-mas present if all goes to schedule.
And perhaps not so worried about the augmenting as by ship brokers worrysome pictures from the car being loaded...

https://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354...773060_2062.jpg (https://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/honning57/TR6/?action=view&current=n536500963_773060_2062.jpg)

TRnorwegian
12-11-2008, 02:09 PM
And perhaps not so worried about the augmenting as by ship brokers worrysome pictures from the car being loaded...

https://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354...773060_2062.jpg (https://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/honning57/TR6/?action=view&current=n536500963_773060_2062.jpg)

https://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/honning57/TR6/n536500963_773060_2062.jpg

tdskip
12-11-2008, 08:00 PM
I detect some good Nordic humor here.....

Tinster
12-11-2008, 08:03 PM

Anders, have blast. Merry Christmas and have a few glsses of the cherry gasoline you Nordic folks call "kirsch?"

dale

prb51
12-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Easy to check your tire wear though.

TRDejaVu
12-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Anders, have blast. Merry Christmas and have a few glsses of the cherry gasoline you Nordic folks call "kirsch?"

dale Or Aquavit - been there, done that.

tdskip
12-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Easy to check your tire wear though.

Ha!

I thought that was a rare invisa-fender option?

The cool thing is that the car in the picture has probably been restored to amazingly good condition. As the saying goes, our UK friends will restore a car around one good bolt. Impressive skills and attention to detail in abundance there...

rlandrum
12-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Impressive skills and attention to detail in abundance there...

Every time I look through the "Restoring TR2-3" book I think, "Why are they bothering with that?" Most of them are basket cases that wouldn't even qualify as a car anymore.

Impressive skills indeed.

Silverghost
12-12-2008, 10:47 AM
I'd just worry that your car will show up looking like those steamer trunks of days gone by....with all those stickers of where it's been plastered all over it!! :laugh:

Tinster
12-12-2008, 11:00 AM

https://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/honning57/TR6/n536500963_773060_2062.jpg

<span style="color: #990000">Ah Anders, since I am the only fellow BCFer to have actually
see, sat in and the vroomed the triples- you purchased; I hate to tell
you this but I think some rust may have eaten your car while sitting in storage.
And the beautiful dark blue paint has soured into that babypoop yellow!!

I had such high hopes for your car. "Ah feel yer pain, ah do!"
Give that man a ceegar!!

d</span>

TRnorwegian
12-12-2008, 09:51 PM

dale

Yes, we do enjoy kirsch, and in Christmas even more the Aquavit (from latin aqua vita - water of life). The strange thing is that our most sought after aquavit has been travelling the seas, and crossed the equator aboard ships, just like my TR6. It's said to give the liquer extra aroma and roundness.
I hope it rubs off on my car, rather than rust from that salty environment.

One can't deny this car has been around. Startet out in the UK, then USA, then tucked away some decades in a barn by Lake Ontario(so they say anyway) then off to Puerto Rico, last week Jamaica, now currently arriving Rotterdam, Antwerpen tomorrow, Hamburg over the weekend, then Norway next week. The whole round trip.

Anyway Dale, you have seen, heard and touched the car. That's more than I can claim. I hope it looked a tiny fraction more healthy than that yellow rust heap on the trailer.

Telly
12-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Anders,
the last time I had aquavit was on a Norwegian cruise ship. And after drinking it I went on a tour of the bridge and noticed the ship could go "full fart"....full speed.

Are you planning on drinking aquavit and going full fart in you TR6!!!!!

TRDejaVu
12-12-2008, 11:18 PM
I still have some Aquavit left from my last visit to Oslo.

TRnorwegian
12-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Anders,
the last time I had aquavit was on a Norwegian cruise ship. And after drinking it I went on a tour of the bridge and noticed the ship could go "full fart"....full speed.

Are you planning on drinking aquavit and going full fart in you TR6!!!!!

You bet I will be going "full fart" when the TR6 is broken in. Perhaps in both senses of the expression, which is another advantage of riding open cars.

And next time any of you drink aquavit, check the label. If it includes the word Linje, it means the content has been sailed across the equator (merely for adding taste).
Instead of keeping it tucked away for 12 years, as with scotch, we norwegians go sailing with it.

Have a merry one!

TRnorwegian
12-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Perhaps Pedro has been doing some maintenance on my car too?

TRDejaVu
12-14-2008, 08:39 PM
I was told about Linje, so that is what I got. Definitely rocket fuel, but after the first one you don't care.

TRnorwegian
12-24-2008, 04:28 AM
Hi there,

I promised you guys an update, with pictures. Because yes, I finally received my car today, safe and sound! It lives up to my expactations, no surprises yet.

Only two problems detected so far:

- Tail lights are not working.
- Engine is struggling to work properly. Spitting, puffing, not revving enough, unclean behaviour. I think the carbs have sucked in moist from months of storage under various temperatures. (even though I added condens-remover to the petrol tank, before firing, it was probably not sufficient)

Any good suggestions to how I blow the moisture out of the carbs?

Anders
https://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/honning57/TR6/Bilde150.jpg
https://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/honning57/TR6/Bilde176.jpg

sail
12-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Any good suggestions to how I blow the moisture out of the carbs?

drive full fart, of course.
nice lookin car, merry christmas.

Tinster
12-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Nice to see a "local" car taking a vacation in Norway.
I look forward to the ski slope photos.

Anders, you could try dropping the cab bowls, clean
them out, spray carb cleaner into the carbs and install
new air filters. Also check your fuel filter for crud.

The engine sounded strong the last time I listened to it.

No rear tail lights could be a popped bullet connector.

Drop a magnet on a string into your fuel tank.
See if the magnet brings up tank rust with it.

Great that your car arrived.

<span style="color: #990000">Eidt: Thinking back on it, Anders, that
triple set up did have a bit of difficulty remaining running at lower idle RPM. </span> Edit:

best wishes,

dale in Puerto Rico

emmett1010
12-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Anders: That car has had more miles sailing than driving.
You could name it Moby Dick, Orca, Ahab ect.
Perhaps you could hold a name the TR6 sailer competition?
What a wonderful Christmas present.
You should have NEVER let Dale touch it!
Emmett

Tinster
12-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Anders: That car has
You should have NEVER let Dale touch it!
Emmett

Thanks for the vote of confidence Emmett.
Funny but true- Ander's car has tons more mile at sea
than I've been able to get out of my car in three
years on land.

Maybe I need to build a small barge and drag my TR6 behind
my fishing boat?? I could wire the TR6 up into a sound system
and use it as a large music box!

I've already got the outriggers for the TR6 Tee-top !!

d

https://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/TinsterTR6/NewTeeTop.jpg

tdskip
12-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Anders - remember that most carb problems are actually electrical. make sure the distributor cap is moisture free, that the plug wires are all snug and tight etc... If that doesn't take care of it then make sure the cap, rotor, condenser, coil etc are all installed properly and connections tight.

If that doesn't do it - then start thinking about the carbs.

Chances are if it was running fine in Puerto Rico it might just be moisture related electrical.

Let us know how it goes.

Andrew Mace
12-24-2008, 11:50 AM
...or, if you haven't already, just get rid of whatever fuel is still in the tank and start over with fresh fuel!

gardener
12-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Anders, happy to know you recived your present in time!! enjoy it!!! in your garage!! happy holydays!! or as we said "FELIZ NAVIDAD"

hey, I have another car to sell you, that you can used it in winter!! a Crosley jeep.

TRnorwegian
12-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Thank you all for useful advice.

I'll try to find a carb cleaning product to use, drain the tank, change the fuel filter and check the distributor cap for moisture.
What do you mean by "dropping the cab bowls"?

Is there a draining plug in the petrol tank, or must I rely on disconnecting by the filter?

I notice only two circuit breakers are installed (the two in the middle). Can this explain the lacking tail lights (as well as lacking instrument lights)?

Should I expect anti-freeze has been added to the coolant liquid?

poolboy
12-25-2008, 10:27 PM
An auto parts store will have a hydrometer for checking your antifreeze protection level.
I'm not aware of any circuit breakers unless that is what you are calling the fuses. I suppose they could be considered a circuit breaker, though
The fuse to the instruments are on the red wires at the fuse box as are the tail lights.
Keep in mind that if the fuses were missing, that may have been the way the PO dealt with a "short".
BTW although there are 4 fuses in the fuse box, normally only 3 have circuits. The forth being a "spare".

TRnorwegian
12-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Yes, I believe fuse is the right word. I have also guessed the lacking fuse could derive from dealing with a short. The bottom fuse slot seems a spare, while the top (also missing) are "connected".

I'm now doing all necessary to ensure the stream of fresh fuel. Too bad I have already sucked in old, conterminated juice. Will I have to dismantle the all carburettors entirely I wonder?

TRnorwegian
12-26-2008, 08:23 AM
...or, if you haven't already, just get rid of whatever fuel is still in the tank and start over with fresh fuel!

I think the freighters emptied the fuel tank from security reasons. So the petrol is fresh, but there has been perfect conditions for condensation.

poolboy
12-26-2008, 05:43 PM
If this is the model Weber that you have you can remove the Cover (part #1) and expose the float chamber. You should be able to clean it out pretty good by doing that.
https://webernorthamerica.com/pdffiles/32_36DGV.pdf

TRnorwegian
12-26-2008, 10:34 PM
If this is the model Weber that you have you can remove the Cover (part #1) and expose the float chamber. You should be able to clean it out pretty good by doing that.
https://webernorthamerica.com/pdffiles/32_36DGV.pdf

I'm no expert on Webers - yet....

Looks like this:
https://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/honning57/TR6/IMG_3840.jpg

poolboy
12-26-2008, 11:21 PM
You at least need to identify them. One of these ?
https://www.webernorthamerica.com/weber_carburetor_schematics.html

TRnorwegian
12-26-2008, 11:27 PM
This is how the car has behaved so far:
- Wouldn't start when moving out of the container. A few tiny coughs although.
- Towed a mile or two, then fired up occasionally when towed, with small explotions in the muffler and misfiring all over the place. Wouldn't run on it's own.
- Towed another few miles, then shaping up a notch. Able to keep the motor alive for a couple of minutes, then died.
- Towed another few miles, shaping up again, seemingly possible to drive unaided, but power decreased steadily and failed after a few hundred meters.
- Towed ten miles and yet again hope. Possible to drive half heartedly around the block once, then power decreasing and it finally died.
- Since then no towing, only jumper cables/charging, while trying to detect the source of the problem. No luck firing it up again yet. A tiny cough now and then, that's all.

I checked the plugs, which were oily/wet. Seems quite new. Removed the distributor cap and noticed it looked ok, even though somewhat original.

A little history: The fuel pump is said having been replaced 2006/2007, at the same time the engine were fitted with a Weber conversion. It seems the car has only been driven 1000 miles since then.

It's a 73 model, which went into storage in 1983. Recovered from a horse barn near Niagara Falls in 2005. Restored during 2006/2007 (near Ft. Lauderdale I think), and driven only 150 miles before sold to Puerto Rico late 2007. Then driven 800 miles during six months before I bought it this summer.

TRnorwegian
12-26-2008, 11:36 PM
You at least need to identify them. One of these ?
https://www.webernorthamerica.com/weber_carburetor_schematics.html

I've looked through the different types. Broken into pieces they don't necessarily look their best, but as far as I could tell they look very simular to the type 50DCO. (which seem to have a bottom cover).

poolboy
12-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Look closely at the carbs. I'd be surprised if they didn't have the model # on them somewhere.

TRnorwegian
12-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Will do, as soon as I'm back in the garage.

gardener
12-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Hello Anders, if you want I can contact the previous owner here and ask him. But it seems that your car have the same virus as mine and it could be electrical problems, I change point, condenser and coil, the coil and the condenser, produces the explotions, my car separate the muffler

Tinster
12-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Hello Anders, if you want I can contact the previous owner here and ask him. But it seems that your car have the same virus as mine and it could be electrical problems, I change point, condenser and coil, the coil and the condenser, produces the explotions, my car separate the muffler

<span style="color: #000099">Anders/Gardener: A thought, even if I know zero of auto mechanics.
Anders, your car ran just fine when I was in it. It had difficulty staying alive
at low idle rpm but at mid to high RPM, your car was a tiger. It roared. Also-
it started instantly.

Both of your cars were on long boat voyages and now both of your cars are having
difficulties. Gardener- your car drove about 1,000 miles to the boat, yes?

I am a boater not an auto mechanic. Both cars endured long periods of rocking
and rolling on the ocean. I am thinking maybe much crud was loosened in the fuel
system and now clogs the fuel delivery. Gas tank, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump,
carb feed lines, carb insides, etc. (I'd take them apart and clean them)

Both cars ran good before the boat voyage- now both cars run bad after the
boat voyage. There is the common element. Boat voyage.

In my opinion as a non-mechanic.

dale</span>

TRnorwegian
12-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Right now I'm in the norwegian mountains, enjoying some cross country skiing, evenings by the fireplace and lots of nog (or our local equivalent).
I'll look more closely into the electrical set-up when back in the garage, as well as checking out all the other suggestions.
Meanwhile, enjoy your cars, those of you living climatewise under the right conditions and having a car that runs.

Gardener: As Dale points out, seems sea voyage did something to our cars. I will probably follow your example. If Dale is right, no point giving the previous owner the third degree, since he just owned the car 6 months and drove it 800 miles. The man who knows these things lives in Florida (Tamarac) and restored it during 2006/2007 (according to my latest info). Think his name is Steingraber, first name Pedro.

Happy New Year!

Anders

rlandrum
12-29-2008, 10:54 AM
I am a boater not an auto mechanic. Both cars endured long periods of rocking
and rolling on the ocean. I am thinking maybe much crud was loosened in the fuel
system and now clogs the fuel delivery. Gas tank, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump,
carb feed lines, carb insides, etc. (I'd take them apart and clean them)

Those big ships don't rock as much as one might expect. Moving the container about might do it, but I would expect a hard driving session to about equivalent.

Salty moist air from inside a cargo ship is almost certainly the culprit. It's probably collected in the distributor and possibly the gasoline.

WD40 on all contacts (inside the distributor), all the wires, and all the plugs.

Also, loading and unloading can be tough on the under-carriage. Double check that an exhaust tube hasn't been smooshed.

Good luck.