PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 ignition barrel

newmexTR3
12-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Hey guys,

I recently changed out the barrel in my ignition switch. (I purchased the new key & handle set from Moss so that I now only have one key for the car instead of 5). I had some trouble removing the old barrel from the switch as I couldn't find any instructions.

My new one is very loose in the switch housing, and I'm not sure how it supposed to be locked in place while still permitting the key to move. What's worse, it has become so loose that if I go over a big bump while driving, the key may move and switch the car off. not cool!

Any tips for securing this piece?

Thanks,
Gavin

TR3driver
12-10-2008, 03:05 PM
The barrel should have a spring-loaded pin at the end opposite the key slot, which locks into a matching hole in the switch. If you forced the old barrel out, you may have damaged the hole until the pin cannot lock securely. (Don't recall offhand if the hole is bakelite or pot metal, but it's not very strong.) The proper way to remove the barrel is to turn it to the 'on' position, which exposes the head of the pin through a hole in the body, where you can depress the pin and tug on the head of the key to remove the barrel.

As I recall, the switch itself (inside the bakelite insulator) has the only detent to hold it in the 'on' position. The fixed contacts have concave ends, which the rounded ends of the moveable contact drop into when the switch is on. But they do wear with time; so it may be time for a new switch assembly.

newmexTR3
12-10-2008, 05:59 PM
The proper way to remove the barrel is to turn it to the 'on' position, which exposes the head of the pin through a hole in the body, where you can depress the pin and tug on the head of the key to remove the barrel.

Thanks for the info Randall. Ugh. I'm pretty sure I forced it out when I changed it. Another case of "should have asked the list beforehand."