PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 wheels and Saab 900 wheels?

karls59tr
12-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Every now and again I see a post that Saab 900 rims will fit a TR3. Seems to me I tried to put a set( mid 80's) on my 3 a couple years ago and found they were close but did not quite fit on the 3 hubs! Anyone done this or have any other info?

Andrew Mace
12-04-2008, 12:34 PM
I would think the offset would be different, seeing as the Saab is front-wheel-drive. I do remember sorta being able to temporarily use a TR3 wheel and tire to hold up one corner of a junk Saab 99, but I don't think it would've been driveable. :frown:

karls59tr
12-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I found a Saab owner on Saabnetwork who also owns a TR3. Says its the pre 1988 900's that will fit but not after.

Don Elliott
12-04-2008, 06:22 PM
I bought a TR3 steel wheel from a chap who had just bought an MGA. After he bought the MGA, he noticed that one steel wheel was different and not from an MGA. It was from a TR3. So after he found a proper wheel rim for his MGA, he sold the TR wheel to me.

Check out if steel wheels for the MGA might fit in your case.

Got_All_4
12-04-2008, 08:51 PM
I have a body shop customer that has a set of wheels from a salvage Saab and he let me take a pair home to see if they would fit my TR250. I didn't even think of the 3. The wheels hit the callipers because there is too much offset and a large spacer plate would be needed to make it work. Along with extra long studs which I think would too hard and too much trouble to make work. The 250 and the 3 have a zero offset so I would imagine that if you measured the difference from the center of the wheel to the mounting plate you could make a spacer or have an adapter plate made that would have it's own studs mounted in it so that would alleviate the need for extra long studs. The next time I was in the shop he drilled holes in them and screwed them to the wall for hose reels. Sad.

NickMorgan
12-06-2008, 02:58 PM
I think it is just the tyre size that is the same as the TRs, rather than the wheel fitting.