PDA

View Full Version : How to take a shower in the garage

tdskip
12-01-2008, 08:28 PM
There are other ways of course, but this worked well for me earlier today;

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step one</span> - Jack the TR6 up way high to remove fulcrum/wishbone arms

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step two </span>- Make sure it is on jack stands solidly

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step three</span> - Slide under the car to gain access to nyloc bolts holding fulcrum/wishbone arms in place

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step four</span> - Make mental note that the bottom radiator hose to radiator down pipe seems a bit wobbly. Decide to fix said wobbly connection after removing fulcrum/wishbone arms.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step five</span> - Insert wrench between bracket and down-pipe, start wrenching

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step six</span> - Wait for the pressure from Step five to loosen the hose, ideally while wearing a good shirt or fleece,bonus points for aiming at upper torso or head.

Rinse, repeat as necessary!

19_again
12-01-2008, 08:49 PM
C'mon Tom, at least Dale gives us great pix to follow along. We demand that you do it again but this time with a camera in hand, preferably an expensive one!!
I tell ya, ya just can't beat this tips at Basil's forums, LOLOLOLOLOL

Brosky
12-01-2008, 09:36 PM
After being soaked at least twenty times over the years, I still don't know what is worse, oil or antifreeze.

Yes, I do remember now. It's gasoline or diesel fuel. Both smell much worse and for a lot longer than the other two.

tdskip
12-01-2008, 10:13 PM
I wish I had a camera on me when this happened - nothing like laughing at yourself. Probably good there isn't a sound recording - kids would have learned a couple new words. LOL.

poolboy
12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
It's gasoline or diesel fuel. Both smell much worse and for a lot longer than the other two.
A little bit of gear oil goes a long way in the smellin department, too.

TR3driver
12-02-2008, 09:23 AM
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step six</span> - Wait for the pressure from Step five to loosen the hose, ideally while wearing a good shirt or fleece,bonus points for aiming at upper torso or head.
At least it wasn't hot!

Few years ago I managed to get scalding coolant sprayed up my jacket sleeve, then in my face.

tdskip
12-02-2008, 10:23 AM
At least it wasn't hot!

Few years ago I managed to get scalding coolant sprayed up my jacket sleeve, then in my face.

Yikes! Good point.

2wrench
12-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Musta worked. You are rather, well, c-o-o-l about the whole thing.

kodanja
12-02-2008, 12:03 PM
https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/MeInTheShower.jpg

tdskip
12-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Where is the challenge in that Kodjana? LOL.

kodanja
12-02-2008, 01:05 PM
ever try to fit yer car in the shower?

emmett1010
12-02-2008, 03:31 PM
once upon a time i saw a mg mechanic sprayed with hot coolant, and he screamed "I don't know why they call that s--- coolant, it's just as hot as water"
Emmett

DougF
12-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Yep Brosky, got a face and mouth full of gasoline. Got it in the eyes and nose. It was very painful for a good while. Burned all the skin around the eyes. Didn't do much for the olfactory either.
I don't recommend it.

DeltaAir423
12-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I remember working on my Brother's truck to help out with his heater problem. GM deemed to see fit to make the heater core to be the highest portion of the coolant system. I used an old trick of pulling one hose, plugging the hole then rev the motor. I got doused!

Brosky
12-02-2008, 08:43 PM
OK, the worst oil smell ever. How could I have forgotten?

When I was apprenticing (over 40 years ago), I got one of my first chances to touch a wrench to a car after the first four months of cleaning parts for the senior techs and relining brake shoes. Anyhow, I was all excited because I was told I was going to work on an Olds 442 posi-traction rear end. (First hint should have been that I knew nothing about them at that time!!)

What I found out was, that I was allowed to remove the cover and drain the posi fluid (which stinks to high heaven when hot and burned out), then flush out the rest with kerosene in a spray gun under high air pressure. I should have known when I was sent to the back shop to do the job, there was a reason. Have you ever aimed a water hose into an inverted trash can lid and watched it shoot back at you? Try that horizontally at six feet up in the air!!

Luckily, I was told to wear safety glasses, but I was a mess. I stunk so bad that NO ONE would eat lunch near me. I did have another set of clothes for going home, or my car would have been ruined from the smell. Kerosene and GM Posi fluid. UGGHHHHH...........

kodanja
12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

71MKIV
12-03-2008, 06:49 AM
To quote Satch Carlson who used to have a column in Autoweek

"Antifreeze has to be one of the ickyist substances known to man"

and I think I agree with him.

IanF
12-04-2008, 09:05 AM
It's gasoline or diesel fuel. Both smell much worse and for a lot longer than the other two.
A little bit of gear oil goes a long way in the smellin department, too.

Oh god yes... I spilled most of a tranny's worth of gear oil into the back of my station wagon many years ago... even replacing the carpet only partially helped... Fortunately, when I traded the car in, it was on a cool day...

On the coolant shower front, another real winner is draining the coolant out of the block in a BMW I6. The plug is buried up behind the exhaust manifold with access blocked by one of the O2 sensors. Let's just say that a 3'x4' drip pan is nowhere near big enough to catch the deluge splatter... I eventually figured out that if you removed the sensor, covered the hole you could wedge a large funnel up there that would catch most of the coolant exiting the block. Since that car, draining the coolant from any of our other cars has been easy... although I'm probably going to buy a vacuum set-up soon.

MadRiver
12-05-2008, 07:32 PM
To quote Satch Carlson who used to have a column in Autoweek

"Antifreeze has to be one of the ickyist substances known to man"

and I think I agree with him.

Hahahahahaha! I think it's a tie between antifreeze and brake fluid. We hates brake fluid. It's tricksy.

RonMacPherson
12-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I quit giving any credence to Satch Carlson after he was convicted of child molestation...

He was a gifted, talented writer. But......

TR3driver
12-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I quit giving any credence to Satch Carlson after he was convicted of child molestation...
Hardly a "child" by any normal definition ... 17 year old high school senior. Age of consent is only 16 where it happened; which is why he was never actually convicted!

RonMacPherson
12-05-2008, 09:58 PM
He used to write, quite well in my opinion, for AutoWeek.

He was a high school teacher who was charged with sexual encounters with four female students. Some were 16, One was 17. Autoweek, fired him and Alaska changed their laws regarding sexual molestation due to this case.

TR3driver
12-05-2008, 10:42 PM
You mean "accused", not "charged". Charges were only filed in the case of the 17 yo, and that case was dropped.

And even a 16 year old is hardly a "child".

71MKIV
12-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Ah, I never heard why Mr Carlson's column disappeared. Makes sense.

I have found his statment to be true though.

RonMacPherson
12-08-2008, 07:16 PM
May I ask "which statement"? Mr. Carlson's?

I find it ethically immoral for Mr. Carlson's act. He was an adult teacher, the gal who got civil judgment award was just 17 at the time of the incident. To me, it is morally wrong for an adult with supervisory powers to impugn a teenager. The authorities found that Satch Carlson did.... Along with another instructor.

71MKIV
12-09-2008, 07:03 AM
the statement about the antifreeze, having been showered with the stuff both hot and cold.

The other stuff....my preferred punishment for that kind of thing involves barn doors and large organic fiber intrusive manually activated material securing units, nuff said... this is a family forum after all.

dklawson
12-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Two stinky auto fluid stories from my past come to mind.

1st
When I was a toddler my father (for some reason) decided to buy half of a pig from a local slaughter house. With that you also got parts that normally would have been thrown out or used elsewhere... such as two gallons of rendered lard. Dad put my sisters in the back of the station wagon with the carcass and lard telling them not to let it tip over. They started playing and messing with each other so when dad rounded a street corner the open topped gallon containers of lard tipped over spilling their entire contents into the back of the wagon, down into the spare tire storage, and filling every nook and cranny of the car's back half. After the beatings ended my father went through several gallons of varsol degreasing and deodorizing the family car. For the rest of the time we had that car I remember it had the little Christmas Tree deodorizers dangling from the rear view mirror.

2nd
When I was a teen and thought I knew better than my car's service manuals I was replacing my Toyota's clutch. The books said to drain the tranny first before removal. What did they know. Certainly I could skip that unnecessary step and therefore NOT have to put fresh gear oil in the box when I was done. On my back, under the car, I pulled the driveshaft out of the back of the gearbox and a torrent of 90W oil poured out before I could roll out of the way. The oil soaked every inch of my head. I had shoulder length curly hair at the time and it held at least a cup or more of gear oil better than a sponge. Moments later a friend of mine arrived at the house and couldn't stop laughing when they saw me slide out from under the car. Once the laughter stopped I asked them to go inside and get my mom's big box of Tide laundry detergent. I washed my hair 3 times with Tide and a garden hose and my head still smelled bad for about a week.

tdskip
12-09-2008, 10:18 AM
They started playing and messing with each other so when dad rounded a street corner the open topped gallon containers of lard tipped over spilling their entire contents into the back of the wagon, down into the spare tire storage, and filling every nook and cranny of the car's back half.

LOL. Did the car smell like Bacon in the summer?

AltaKnight
12-09-2008, 02:22 PM
the open topped gallon containers of lard tipped over spilling their entire contents into the back of the wagon, down into the spare tire storage, and filling every nook and cranny of the car's back half.

That's great, it would be one effective way of rustproofing the rear end of a TR to augment the built in rustproofing of the front half (ie leaking engine fluids)