PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel angle question

CraigLandrum
12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Am in the process of restoring the steering wheel before putting it back in the TR3 and noticed that the steering wheel shaft is not exactly perpendicular to the steering wheel. If I set the wheel on the floor with the shaft sticking up, should it sit at a slight angle or be straight up at 90 degrees? With the wheel at the current angle (maybe 85 degrees??) there would be a noticable "wobble" to the mounted wheel as it turned through 360 degrees when driving. Is that normal or should I bend things to try and get the shaft at exactly a right angle to the wheel?

NickMorgan
12-01-2008, 05:07 PM
I think it should be at 90 degrees. The dirty mark on my trousers where the wheel rubs against my leg is fairly narrow and the wheel turns without a wobble!

martx-5
12-01-2008, 05:21 PM
:iagree:
It should be straight. Most likely the wires radiating from the hub got twanged out of whack. I doubt there is a problem with the hub itself, as it's aluminium and that stuff don't bend so good without breaking.

TR3driver
12-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Should be straight, but I've got several that aren't. Doesn't take much of an accident to bend it; if you brace yourself against the wheel.