PDA

View Full Version : Slow progress - but progress all the same

Basil
11-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Well, tonight I finished re-installing the pistons in my Spitfire engine, after installing new AE rings! For some reason, gaps in the rings that were installed before were way too wide (double specs) This is what I "suspect" may have been why I was getting too much crank case pressure, and thus oil out the back end (even with a brand new rear seal). Before I put the motor back in, I have to decide how much detailing I want to do on the firewall and frame, front end, etc. first

DougF
12-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Sounds like the beginning thoughts of a restoration.

Tinkerman
12-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Now is the time to do it! It gets real tedious when all the stuff is back in the engine bay. I would suggest you go for it now. Post pictures.

Good luck, Tinkerman

vagt6
12-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Ditto what Tinkerman said.

But, I think Basil already knows it! :yesnod:

Do it now, while it's easier.

Basil
12-01-2008, 09:18 AM
That's my inclination. One thing that is going to be a pain is that someone had put undercoating on the firewall (the lower part below the ledge). I am pretty sure that is just supposed to be painted, so I may attempt to get all that junk off, then having the entire firewall and frame rails re-painted.

Brosky
12-01-2008, 12:44 PM
You'll be cursing for a short while, but smiling for a long time after that.

Tinkerman
12-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Ditto Paul!

prb51
12-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Basil,
You know the only way to properly 'do it' is to put everything back together as quickly as possible and then, and only then, try and make things look nice.

Darwin
12-01-2008, 11:40 PM
This is how it starts. While I have this apart I may as well.......
I feel a severe case of shipwrights disease setting in boss. Be careful. :smile:

vagt6
12-02-2008, 08:19 AM
That's my inclination. One thing that is going to be a pain is that someone had put undercoating on the firewall (the lower part below the ledge). I am pretty sure that is just supposed to be painted, so I may attempt to get all that junk off, then having the entire firewall and frame rails re-painted.

There are a number of ways to deal with that nasty undercoating gunk. One of my preferred methods for smallish areas is to take the wire wheel to it and scrub it off. Then, prime and paint.

Not good for some areas, but works like a charm on others.

Let us know what you do with it . . .

Basil
12-02-2008, 09:29 AM

There are a number of ways to deal with that nasty undercoating gunk. One of my preferred methods for smallish areas is to take the wire wheel to it and scrub it off. Then, prime and paint.

Not good for some areas, but works like a charm on others.

Let us know what you do with it . . .

One guy locally suggested that I use a small torch to heat it up, then scrap the majority off with a putty knife.

roofman
12-02-2008, 09:43 AM
I would try thr wire brush first, it may be easier and less messy. If not then go to plan B.

TR3driver
12-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Heat works really well, but don't forget that both the undercoating, and likely whatever is on the other side of the panel, are flammable.

RonMacPherson
12-02-2008, 11:31 AM
What about the Dawn stripper, or aircraft paint stripper?

AltaKnight
12-02-2008, 07:00 PM
I had that gunky undercoat stuff in my engine bay from the DPO.
I used carburetor cleaner in a spray can, with copious amounts of shop towelds it came off a treat, it just melted away.

Basil
12-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Lots of good suggestions....I'll probably try each in a small area and see which seems to work the best.

vettedog72
12-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Basil
Please, NO TORCH. If you use the heat method use a heat gun rather than the open torch.

Andrew Mace
12-03-2008, 10:34 AM
:iagree: A heat gun is plenty (but still can do some damage if you're not careful). With it and a fairly dull scraper, you'll likely remove most of the coating without scratching the surface underneath. It's possible that you'll then be able to do final cleanup with a solvent and not have to do anything more unless you find spots of rust or damaged paint.

Darwin
12-05-2008, 12:19 AM
methalethel ketone. MEK. nasty stuff but will cut most any of the goo.

Brosky
12-05-2008, 08:47 AM
I think that you can buy it at Home Depot, but I've heard others say that it is strong.

DNK
12-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Wouldn't go near it w/o a respirator!

tdskip
12-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Paint stripper works well, messy but it will get the undercoating off.