PDA

View Full Version : More Starting help Required

mylesw
11-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Hello

Almost there now hopefully with getting the engine started. Have solved the fuel issue and have set the timing etc according to the workshop manual. When I turn the key the engine turns and fires once, then stops. As it stops a strange screeching sound can be heard coming from the bellhousing which I guess may be related to the clutch/starter or flywheel but we'll come to that problem later.

The carbs have been rebuilt professionally and are HS6's. I am figuring that the problem may lie here but I don't want to touch anything unless I make it worse. All the manuals I have talk about how to tune the carbs once they're running. So question is - what should I start to fiddle with first?

Thanks for your help.

Myles

Geo Hahn
11-29-2008, 03:00 PM
...As it stops a strange screeching sound can be heard coming from the bellhousing...

I think I'd want to know the source of that before going much farther.

You might double-check the timing as it is not difficult to get it 180* off, which could give you some strange results (i.e. are you sure it is 'firing' and not 'backfiring'?).

I assume the engine turned freely when the plugs were out.

TR3driver
11-29-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm guessing that your starter bearings are dry, and what you are hearing is them squalling when the starter starts spinning at high speed after the Bendix kicks out. Probably a good idea to pull the starter and lube it's bearings; but of course that won't solve the Bendix kicking out.

Generally that is caused by one cylinder firing and the others don't pick up at the same time. Sometimes just trying again a few times (backing off the key each time and waiting for the starter to quit spinning each time) will do; but it seems to me that either more or less choke usually helps as well. You might also check that your chokes are reasonably well synchronized (ie both jets move by roughly the same amount with the knob locked out).

In extreme cases, a spray of carb cleaner down each carb throat may also help. It acts like starting ether, better than the "starting fluid" they sell these days. But don't go overboard with it, as it can also wash the oil off the cylinder walls.

mylesw
11-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Engine started! Thanks for all you help with this. Couple of leaks in the cooling system that I need to address but otherwise looking okay.

Thanks

Myles