PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Steering Column

mountainman
11-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I am in the process of removing the body tub on my 1959 tr3. But do not know where
the steering column comes apart. By looking at it it's seem that it would come apart at
the coupler.Is that ture and if so how do I get it apart?
Thanks
Greg https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g317/gregflash/steering.jpg

TR3driver
11-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Yup, should come apart at either end of the coupler. You can try tapping a suitable wedge (big screwdriver) into the split and yanking on the steering wheel; or what I did was to take the lower bolt out and tap on the ears of the coupling with a brass hammer. Not too hard, though, as the ball bearing in the steering box is taking the force.

If it won't come apart, and since you're pulling the body anyway, I suppose you could pull the apron and remove the entire column out the front as on the earlier cars. Since TS13571L has the solid column and it's steering box definitely needs help, I'll be tackling that job this afternoon or tomorrow.

Tinkerman
11-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi Greg: What's the little brass widget on the left side of your steering column coupling? Haven't gotten to that point in the assembly on mine so am not sure what it's supposed to be.

Thanks, Tinkerman

TR4nut
11-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Dick-

Not to steal the thread, but that is the fuel cutoff switch on the early 3's.

Randy

martx-5
11-29-2008, 01:52 PM
That looks like the fuel shut off valve. They stopped using it IIRC around TS40,000.

EDIT: TR4Nut was just a tad quicker... :thumbsup:

Tinkerman
11-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks!

Moseso
11-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Big old NOTE:
The two clamping screws MUST be REMOVED from the coupling -- not merely loosened -- before it will come apart. They not only clamp the coupling onto the splines, but they also fit into an annular groove on each shaft. Trying to separate the shafts from the coupling is a very puzzling and frustrating task until you remove the screws completely from the coupling. Then it just comes apart.
No... I will not tell you how much force I applied, nor for how long, before discovering this.

mountainman
11-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll being getting to it today.
Thanks again
Greg

rlandrum
12-01-2008, 11:10 AM
A note for those removing steering columns:

When I removed mine, I hammered on the coupler, hammering from the rear of the car forward. This cause the upper bearing in the steering box to slip out of place and become wedged against the worm gear in such a way as to ruin the bearing and damage the race. Replacement was easy, but probably unnecessary if I'd been more cautious.

I recommend prying at the coupler and hammering from front to back, rather than back to front. Hammer with light taps rather than heavy blows.

Good luck.

mountainman
12-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks rlandrum,
I'll try that.
How about some more pic of your car. They really get me going on mine.