PDA

View Full Version : No fuel at Carbs

mylesw
11-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Hello

I am trying to get my engine running on my TR4 after spending the last two years rebuilding the frame and body but with no success so far. I have checked that the plugs are sparking and all okay there. On the fuel side, the glass bowl is full however I am not convinced that I am getting any fuel to the carbs. I have disconnected the fuel line and I would expect to get fuel pouring out when the engine is cranked but I get nothing. Should fuel be expected to pour out when the engine is cranked? If so, what should I check out before I remove the fuel pump?

Thanks for your help.

Myles

tdskip
11-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi Myles - hang in there!

If the glass sediment bowl is full the next place to check is that fuel is making it's way to the carbs. Disconnect the line before it goes into the carbs and see if you have flow. If you have flow there, then see if gas is getting into the float bowls...

Brosky
11-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Myles,

If the bowl is full and you have nothing coming out of the line at the carbs, keep going back through the system until you do. That last will be the item that is blocking the fuel from getting through.

Yes, fuel lines can become blocked by gremlins over time. Anything is possible when a car sits for a long period of time.

Especially if it's in pieces.........

prb51
11-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Are you getting fuel in the carb throats? Could be that fuel residue has frozen your needle/seat assembly in the float bowls if the bowls are empty or the passage from the bowl to the carb body is plugged if the bowls are full. Old fuel will varnish up pretty quickly.
Empty the bowls and spray a little carb cleaner thru the hole leading to the jet bearing assembly.

TR4nut
11-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Myles-

You should get fuel shooting out the line when you turn the crank - so either the pump is not working or you have a blockage in the line or filter. Not sure, but with the bowl location so low having it filled may not be an indicator of a good pump as gravity from the tank would probably drive it to that level.

Randy

If you need a spare pump for the weekend drop me a note or catch me at the Saturday breakfast - I have a good pump on the project TR4 you can borrow to get things going if needed.

mylesw
11-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Sorted - the guy (i.e. me) that rebuilt the fuel pump hadn't done it properly such that the diaphragm wasn't moving. Dimantled and rebuilt it (with an extra twist) and now it works fine.

Next step is to try to get the thing to run...

Thanks for your help.

Myles