PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy-welded diff

Michael Oritt
11-24-2008, 10:57 PM
A while back I read about someone who "welded" an open diff it by filling the aperture between the spider gears with two-part epoxy.

Has anyone ever heard of or tried anything like this?

blkcorvair
11-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Never heard. I have seen some "tuner Guys" weld 3/8" lugs (Cut from bolts) across the spider gears on both sides.

aeronca65t
11-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah, that's a new one to me too, Michael.

blkcorvair
11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Chris S Has a welded Diff.

68Sprite
11-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Whats wrong with bubble gum and duct tape?

Michael Oritt
11-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Whats wrong with bubble gum and duct tape?

I'll put you down as an "In-The-Box" thinker.

Hap Waldrop
11-29-2008, 09:43 AM
I welded plenty of diffs without taking them apart, I let them soak in the part washer for a day or so, then washed them out with hot watrer ina deppe sink I have at the shop, then air bew them dry,a dn gave them a light coating of WD40, then stuff wet rags all around the ring gear and block all the nooks and crannys of the diff case, then welded the spider gears, took all the wet rags out, carefully knocked any slag balls I found where they shouldn't be, recleaned the entire thing, then use it. i've done this so manyimtes I can't count it. These diffs A and be series banjo diff are near bullitproof, so mst of the time, they don't anything more than a cleaning and weld locking them. I don't think I would trust epoxy though, there are some forces happening in there, so welding is the way to go.