PDA

View Full Version : '57 Healey 100-6 MM vs. '56 100 M

dougie
11-20-2008, 03:34 AM
I've been sitting on this for a while thought someone might enjoy it. HMSA Portland Historic Races, PIR 2008. It was about 110 degrees behind the wheel, my electronic overdrive was erratic and I had the wrong SU needles in for the weekend. They were too rich and I lost power down the straights. I was able to out brake (4-wheel disc.) Rich in his '56 100M going into the turn #1 chicane for a clean pass.

I know enough excuses. I can't wait until next season.

Dougie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS6sqyTfNfs

aeronca65t
11-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Nice track! (but too far to tow for me!)

It has some twisty "Sprite-turns" on it too :laugh:

And it's always fun to have friends to play with....sometimes, very unlikely ones.

~Here's Me~ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM6GfiZEUTA) dueling with my friend Ralph in the Ardent Alligator. It won the 1949 Watkins Glen Grand Prix. Normally I can outrun him, but my car was stuck in fourth gear so that "evened us out".

Assuming I actually have a working transmission, I only shift at 5700 with my wheezing 1500 motor (I don't want to test my scattershield :laugh: ).
Your engine speed sounds even lower...what rpm are you shifting at with that big six?
And the other car is a four, right?

dougie
11-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Nial,

PIR does have some nice twists, it was totally replaved this year with some reconfigurations done. Very smooth and easy on the cars. With the heat and minor *%#&> mechanical with the car that weekend I kept my shift points down to about 5500, I really don't take it past 6000 rpm. The build on the motor is pretty old so it's getting a little "freshening" this winter. The green '56 100-4 M has a built up 4-cylinder with the LeManns upgrades and is much lighter than me. Good fun.

I always enjoy your vids and I hope to make it to a few of those great tracks some day.

Dougie

billspohn
11-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Wattaguy!

Not everyone would have let all those cars pass you just so we'd get to see new cars every lap! Commendable public spirit!

:bow:

Makes me want to stick the engine back in the race car and come out and play!

What calipers did the Healeys use on the rear with the optional discs?

dougie
11-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey, I know I play too nice sometimes. I like to drive like I fish giving them a little line so I can wear them out and reel them in. I had to shorten the video so you missed my great hard charging come back passing stacks of cars to the finish.

Discs. brake option 1st series Dunlop then Girling.

I hope to make it to Mission next year because my Canadian friends race hard and love play even harder.

billspohn
11-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey, I know I play too nice sometimes. I like to drive like I fish giving them a little line so I can wear them out and reel them in. I had to shorten the video so you missed my great hard charging come back passing stacks of cars to the finish.

Discs. brake option 1st series Dunlop then Girling.

I hope to make it to Mission next year because my Canadian friends race hard and love play even harder.

darn - I should get going on my car. I like beating Healeys. But not as much as beating Porkers! Actually, I've had some good races with Healeys, especially one guy with an evil 100 4 cylinder that ran like a train (but couldn't stop).

I'm running stock Twin Cam MGA Dunlops. Only problem with the system is that you get annoying pad kick-back, but you get used to tapping the brake pedal with you left foot on the straights......

dougie
11-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Bill -

You've got until April 2009 to get that motor in. Even at an MGA's snail pace that should allow you enough time. Really, we need to get more British cars in our SOVREN grid. MGA's occupy a special spot for me, the rear view mirror.

Healey's do travel in packs, so you might want to pack a lunch.

billspohn
11-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Don't have any pics of me pulling in front of Healeys, but it regularly happens. Here is one of me having just passed a lighter car with similar power - AC Bristol with the hot engine.

The Healeys certainly haulass down the straights, but can usually be picked off under braking or in the corners. It is just nice to see some Healeys running - for years after we started vintage in the 70s, no one would prepare a Big Healey!

I've even thought of running my MGC, which has about 175 BHP, but I don't think I could lose the excellent handling and superior braking of the MGA.

https://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/portland.jpg

dougie
11-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Don't have any pics of me pulling in front of Healeys, but it regularly happens. Here is one of me having just passed a lighter car with similar power - AC Bristol with the hot engine.

The Healeys certainly haulass down the straights, but can usually be picked off under braking or in the corners. It is just nice to see some Healeys running - for years after we started vintage in the 70s, no one would prepare a Big Healey!

I've even thought of running my MGC, which has about 175 BHP, but I don't think I could lose the excellent handling and superior braking of the MGA.

https://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/portland.jpg

Bill,

I agree a poor prepared Healey with a less than experienced driver can be an easy target. Healeys are harder to drive fast and very few tuners know how to prepare them, but like a fine wine when you get all the important elements together correctly you have a remarkable vintage.

Maybe you know Ralph Zbarsky here in his '59 MGA Twin cam, I think he's a
kanock. He drifted into the dirt entering PIR's new turn #7 on the second lap of 20 with me pushing hard from behind...........that's the last I saw of Ralphy!

billspohn
11-24-2008, 02:53 PM
I do indeed know Ralph and he is a local boy. We seem to be the Western Twin Cam Drivers Guild.

I am several seconds a lap faster than his cars.... and that is with my slower TVR race car (shown here shutting the door on good old Ralph after passing him)... :driving: Sounds like you and me could have some fun!

https://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/tvrmga2.jpg