PDA

View Full Version : TR6 '73 TR6 Door Pulls

Gliderman8
11-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Hello everyone-
I am just about finished with my six year work in progress. Here's my question:
What's the best method of attaching the foam door pulls (at the top of the door) on my '73 TR6? I have the 3M adhesive, is this the best to use?
Any suggestions from those that have done it before me are welcome. I am a relatively new member so as soon as I figure out how to post some photos I'll do it.
Gliderman8
Lancaster, PA

Got_All_4
11-19-2008, 09:58 PM
That will work fine. I did my TR250 that way. make sure you have done multiple fits before attempting to glue. You spray both parts and wait a few minutes then attach. It will adhere very quickly and strongly. If I recall attach it to the inside of the door first between the opening for the window.

Pics are easy. Chose full screen message and click on file manager. A window will pop up and then click browse. Find your pic in your computer and click open. Then click add photo. At the top of the window you file name will appear when it is loaded. Then click done loading photos.

Good luck and welcome!

Gliderman8
11-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi TR3ATR250- Thanks for your confirmation on how to install the door pulls. I tried adding a photo to this replay but the error message I got said it was too big a file.
Gliderman8

Gliderman8
11-19-2008, 10:26 PM
OK, hopefully I should have a photo of the drivers seat that I just finished.
Gliderman8

DNK
11-20-2008, 12:06 AM
To Purdy for this site.

TR6BILL
11-20-2008, 05:23 AM
An alternative to the spray adhesive, which allow very little room for error, is the 3M emblem adhesive in a tube. Specifically the black one. This takes hours to fully set and does require that the piece be secured with pressure. Because the door pulls are never a perfect fit, often seem to pull away from the surface, I tied mine down with cord and tape and whatever I could get to press it in place. Even used some small wooden block here and there to press it in.

Just another way.

hondo402000
11-20-2008, 08:30 AM
one trick is to put wax paper or parchment paper on the door where the glue is and posision the door pull in place then carefully start pulling the wax paper out from between the two pieces. this works for most any type of contact glue application where you dont get a second chance to move it the parts once contact is made

Gliderman8
11-20-2008, 08:56 AM
TR6Bill-
Thanks for the info. I test fit them the other day and did notice that holding them in place until the glue sets would probably be in order. Since the door panels are not yet installed, may a small clamp (padded) will do the trick to hold down the high spots. Thanks for your assistance.
Gliderman8

Gliderman8
11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
hondo402000- Never thought of the wax paper. Hey, it can't hurt to give it a try. Thanks!
Gliderman8

DNK
11-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Wax paper? Dang!!
Probably works better than the round dowels I used. :laugh: