PDA

View Full Version : GT6 GT6 Coolant Block Drain Plug Location?

BugEyeBear
11-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Hey Guys,

I need to drain the coolant out of my GT6 later today.

I haven't had a chance to look for the coolant drain plug on the block... Does anyone know where it is located? Is it easy to get to? Is a special wrench required?

I'm assuming that this would be in the same location as on a TR6....

(I know where it is on the Sprites, just don't remember seeing it on the GT6... but I wasn't exactly looking for it...)

Probably obvious once I pop the hood open... But I thought someone would know. (I'm stopping at the auto parts store on the way home & just want to make sure I don't need to buy anything special...)

Thanks!
-Bear-

Andrew Mace
11-18-2008, 11:03 AM
I haven't had a chance to look for the coolant drain plug on the block... Does anyone know where it is located? Is it easy to get to? Is a special wrench required?

I'm assuming that this would be in the same location as on a TR6....Correct! It might be a petcock; more likely, it's a brass hex-head plug. At risk of restating the obvious, don't be surprised if not much comes out, and don't be fooled by a slow stream. It's all too common to have silt and crud build up in this area, so probe away vigorously with a stiff wire or small screwdriver until flushing water comes out in great torrents!

tomshobby
11-18-2008, 12:21 PM
It has been many years but I think it is over the starter.

rotoflex
11-18-2008, 02:05 PM
There is a petcock over the starter.

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/rotoflex/block-left.jpg

Its function is so that you can pull over in the afternoon & have hot water to make tea. If you use up all the water for tea, it will drain the block.

BugEyeBear
11-18-2008, 10:20 PM
...Its function is so that you can pull over in the afternoon & have hot water to make tea....

<span style="color: #33CC00"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Would that be "GREEN Tea"? &lt;LOL&gt;</span></span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">Thanks everyone!
I found it right away! :-)</span></span>

Yes, it is located on the passenger's (RH) side of the car at the rear of the block, above the starter.
It had a petcock on it, with a 1/4 turn handle (1/4 turn to either side &amp; it starts to drain).

Good thing I looked on both sides, as there are plugs on the LH side for the oil journals, I assume. (My Sprites have a coolant drain plug on the LH side of the car at the rear of the block, so that was naturally the 1st place I looked...)