PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Overdriver

Webb Sledge
07-02-2004, 04:08 PM
LAYCOCK DE NORMANVILLE! That's fun to say, isn't it?

But back to my questions. First, can anyone give me a rough idea of how much it costs to add an OD to a Triumph? Also, do the OD increase the top speed of the car? I can't see how it wouldn't, by cruising at the same speed but lower RPMs.

Dave Russell
07-02-2004, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, do the OD increase the top speed of the car? I can't see how it wouldn't, by cruising at the same speed but lower RPMs.

[/ QUOTE ]
The top speed of a car is a balance between available horsepower & car wind resistance/drag. This balance is achieved when the rpm at which the engine has maximum horsepower coincides with the speed where drag matches the same horsepower.

Stated another way, top speed depends on the overall gearing, engine rpm vs horsepower characteristics, & car drag. It is maximum when they are all matched.

If a car is under geared, the horsepower will peak at a certain rpm & then decrease again as rpm continues to rise. when drag has increased to the point where power at the corresponding rpm is equal to the drag no more speed is available.

If a car is overgeared, as is usually the case with OD, the car will reach the drag limiting speed before the engine reaches maximum horsepower rpm & speed will be limited to what the engine can put out at that corresponding drag speed.

The bottom line is that absolute maximum speed will usually be higher in direct drive than in OD.
D

Bugeye58
07-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Webb:
[quoteThe top speed of a car is a balance between available horsepower & car wind resistance/drag.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why occasionally in a magazine road test you will see the top speed listed as "xxx MPH (Drag Limited.)"
Jeff

Webb Sledge
07-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Alrighty, thanks for the info.

How about an estimate to add an OD to a Triumph?

07-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Dubya,
I just added overdrive to my 73 TR6. $1600+.
I had John Esposito at Quantum Mechanics in Connecticut do it for me. My transmission was already a recent rebuild and in new condition. He has to take it down anyway and change the shaft in it to accomodate the J-type overdrive addition. The J was what my car would have come with but you can add an A-type if you so leaned. I got tired of cruising down the highway at 3500 rpm. Nice to drop the engine speed: less noise and wear, better gas mileage.
There are other vendors out there but I only have experience with John. He has been helpful.

Bill

Webb Sledge
07-06-2004, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, do the OD increase the top speed of the car? I can't see how it wouldn't, by cruising at the same speed but lower RPMs.

[/ QUOTE ]
The top speed of a car is a balance between available horsepower & car wind resistance/drag. This balance is achieved when the rpm at which the engine has maximum horsepower coincides with the speed where drag matches the same horsepower.

Stated another way, top speed depends on the overall gearing, engine rpm vs horsepower characteristics, & car drag. It is maximum when they are all matched.

If a car is under geared, the horsepower will peak at a certain rpm & then decrease again as rpm continues to rise. when drag has increased to the point where power at the corresponding rpm is equal to the drag no more speed is available.

If a car is overgeared, as is usually the case with OD, the car will reach the drag limiting speed before the engine reaches maximum horsepower rpm & speed will be limited to what the engine can put out at that corresponding drag speed.

The bottom line is that absolute maximum speed will usually be higher in direct drive than in OD.
D

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically if you get more power out of the engine to overcome the drag factor, your top speed will be higher in say a TR3, 4 or 6?

Dave Russell
07-06-2004, 02:14 AM
Webb,
The answer is yes. Check your email.
D

Geo Hahn
07-06-2004, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So basically if you get more power out of the engine to overcome the drag factor, your top speed will be higher in say a TR3, 4 or 6?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if you just reduce drag... pretty easy on pre-50000(?) TR3As where the windscreen comes right off.

I usually drive with just the aeroscreen, but I'm not about to explore what the top speed is in a car where most of the braking, suspension, & steering components date from the Eisenhower era.

Webb Sledge
07-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Well, skating into a wall at 120mph would make a good story to tell from your wheelchair... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif