PDA

View Full Version : Post-War Other Triumph Renown

James Lea
11-12-2008, 10:28 PM
I own a 1951 Triumph Renown which is currently undergoing a complete restoration and I need a few parts. The TROC in England has tons of parts but due to "liability" will not sell parts to the US so that leaves me SOL unless I can find other owners here in the states or other sources elsewhere in the world. Anyone out there own a Renown or know someone who does?? Thanks, JL

Andrew Mace
11-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Aack! The Standard Motor Club unfortunately has the same policy, which is proving quite frustrating to those few of us fortunate enough to own Standards. How we in the US managed to develop such a litigious reputation is beyond me. :wink:

I would start by contacting VTR's Roadster/Renown vehicle consultant Marty Lodawer (https://www.vtr.org/consultants.shtml).

DNK
11-12-2008, 10:35 PM
James- Time to find a friendly "bloke" on that side of the pond for shipping purposes

tony barnhill
11-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Or hop a cheap flight!

Brosky
11-12-2008, 10:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]How we in the US managed to develop such a litigious reputation is beyond me. wink[/QUOTE]

No disrespect to any members who practice law, but......I have a few good friends who have been practicing for many years and are fed up with their choice of careers because the market is now flooded with lawyers. Too many get out of jail free/bankruptcy and ambulance chasing people that have degraded the profession in their eyes.

When we graduate five times the amount of lawyers as engineers and business majors, we no longer invent or create things, we end up suing each other. I mean what else do they have to do, except run for office?

John_Mc
11-13-2008, 12:14 AM
:iagree: I think about all the things that are so much more expensive than before or require 10x as many steps as they did to get a more limited result, and I think, "well, you can probably thank a lawyer for that." I know some good people in the law profession, but I agree whole heartedly with Paul. Now, back to that Triumph Renown part.... Sorry for ranting :blush:

billspit
11-13-2008, 10:57 AM
I wonder if it has something to do with the car never being sold in the US?

I assume it wasn't because they are RHD.

Golden_Swan
11-13-2008, 11:13 AM
For various reasons, I don't know why, the Americans don't like selling parts to Denmark. This is unfortunately partially true for the Brits, especially on evilbay, but as far as car parts, if is's a reasonably sized operation, I've had no problem getting deliveries here.

Andrew Mace
11-13-2008, 11:21 AM
I wonder if it has something to do with the car never being sold in the US?

I assume it wasn't because they are RHD. Actually, a very small number were sold here through outlets such as Fergus Motors in NYC, and there were even LHD versions. But I suspect that most of the Renowns (and Roadsters) in the States now are more recent imports.

Twosheds
11-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Anyone out there own a Renown or know someone who does?? Thanks, JL

Yes, back to the Renown part.

I know someone who is restoring a Renown. I will forward this to him. I fear that he is having similar problems, though.

His is a 2000, so it shares most engine parts with the TR2 - TR4. When he calls Moss, he just tells them the part is for a TR3 because, if he tells them it's for a Renown, they say they don't have any parts for it.

The Renown might share other parts with cars for which parts are available in the U.S. so this might be a way to obtain such parts.

Andrew Mace
11-13-2008, 12:27 PM
The Renown might share other parts with cars for which parts are available in the U.S. so this might be a way to obtain such parts. Indeed it does share some parts. The later Renowns, being largely based on Standard Vanguard running gear, do therefore share to some degree with the earlier TRs. And, of course, many of the proprietary parts such as Lucas electrics and Lockheed brakes cross to yet other British cars.

TR3driver
11-13-2008, 12:29 PM
because, if he tells them it's for a Renown, they say they don't have any parts for it. Always been one of my pet peeves with them. I once called for Stag brake hoses, and was told "we don't carry Stag parts". But a local dealer accidentally let me see the Moss dealer catalog, and I copied down the part number. When I called back with the correct part number, the order taker said "Oh, working on a Stag are you ?"!

The situation has improved somewhat WRT Stags, at least the brake hoses are now shown on the web site. But it's still a lot easier to order with the original factory part numbers.

Andrew Mace
11-13-2008, 01:13 PM
because, if he tells them it's for a Renown, they say they don't have any parts for it. Always been one of my pet peeves with them.... And, of course, it's been like that with Heralds for years, which is why researching interchange can be so helpful. That way, I can tell the poor, helpless Herald owner to ask for a Spitfire 4 headpipe flange gasket when they need the same part for a later 1200...or Spitfire rear brake shoes...or.... :laugh:

John Benyon
05-31-2017, 12:48 AM
Andy, The Standard 4 cyl 2088 cc engine was used extensively by Standard and Triumph. It was also the engine of choice in thousands of Massey Ferguson tractors. Millions of spares available world wide !!