PDA

View Full Version : TR6 airconditioning for TR6

gardener
11-07-2008, 07:47 PM
looking for some recomendation from the erudites in Triumphs. On this matter, "air conditioning"

kodanja
11-07-2008, 08:00 PM
TOP DOWN AIR CONDITIONING is all I know about!

TR3driver
11-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Well, the sexy approach would be to find and fit an original TR6 (optional) AC unit. Not sure how many are still around, but there have to be at least a few that someone has taken off. Main thing would be the evaporator and controls (stuff that goes inside the cabin), as you'd want to replace all the hoses and receiver/dryer anyway; while condensors (the part in front of the radiator) are pretty generic.

Helped a friend of mine start down this route some years ago, but haven't seen him for a long time so I don't know how well it worked out. But he needed a bigger alternator even before adding the AC, so I would plan on that as well. (He used the Bosch unit from a 78 Ford Fiesta with AC, which is a bolt-on replacement for the old Lucas, and plug-compatible with later TR6.)

And I still don't have the AC going in either Stag (need to get them running first).

gardener
11-07-2008, 08:16 PM
In Puerto Rico, top down equal to a dark tanning!!,almost roast toast!! ,just kidding!! but not always top down.

gardener
11-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I'll use the space of the heater, here we don't use it never.The main project could be the support bracket for the compressor, the other component could generic

TR3driver
11-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Same problem in the desert. What I did for the TR3 was create a white 'bikini' top with no windows that serves as a sunshade but still lets the air blow through. Helped a LOT.

Andrew Mace
11-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Here's a possible solution (https://www.britishac.com/air-conditioning/complete-triumph-tr6-ac-system-602.php), thanks to a quick Google search. I know nothing about this and have no financial or other interest, but I'll admit it looks promising!

gardener
11-07-2008, 08:35 PM
but the problem here is that you never knows when is going to rain, imagine!!

gardener
11-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks Andy,

I apreciate your time, is good to have brother in the same faith "Triumphaism"!!!

TR3driver
11-07-2008, 08:59 PM
but the problem here is that you never knows when is going to rain, imagine!! Good point, when combined with the fact the TR6 top is semi-permanently attached. The TR3 top just unsnaps and stores in the trunk, so it's trivial to carry both tops if one is so inclined.

But the problem comes up so rarely here that I just get wet instead of messing with top & sidecurtains. There was that time when it started to hail, though ...

RonMacPherson
11-07-2008, 09:17 PM
For the price, I would lean towards Andy's find. Obsolete Air and used to be "Texas Air". Once upon a time offered kits for the 6, but they were pretty generic.

Sanden design compressor is probably the best, and if you get a kit with brackets made especially for the vehicle, would be a lot easier, and probably a lot more reliable.

Make sure you get the most efficient condensor fan you can... Best CFM flow possible and definitely go with a larger alternator. Check the a/c folks out, maybe a larger alternator comes with the kit.. If it does, an even better bargain..

gsalt57tr3
11-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Try "Vintage Air" also. They have a nice unit that will fit under the dash of my Triumph 10, includes heat and air, for about $800