PDA

View Full Version : Crypty Enduro Up-date for Russ

Tinster
11-02-2008, 05:52 PM
<span style="color: #990000">Russ, you suggested-</span>If I were you (And I`m not), I would`nt go on this adventure your about to encounter until something else "Really" breaks down inside your garage or even closer to home!
You did say you have a bad "Ticker" or something; Correct?
Russ.

<span style="color: #660000">Heart's just fine; bad lungs have I.

I'm taking yer advice Russ and making many test drives until
something major once again breaks down. I've also got a professional
check list of items to sort out before we try
the cross island Enduro.

Today I took a 3 hour test drive that covered just over
100 miles driven. That now makes 900+ miles driven since
last major breakdown. The car was running sweet at 60 mph
when a cloud burst looked about to break. I put up the top,
that doesn't leak all THAT badly, and pressed onward.

The sky belched water, I slowed to about 25 mph but after
maybe five minutes of this deluge, the engine began to sputter
and kick badly. I knew if it died, I was looking at a 50 mile
flatbed ride home.

Blasting water from the sky, no visibility, wonderful TR6
wipers doing nothing; so I am feathering the gas pedal,
feathering the clutch and going between 1st and 2nd to keep the engine alive.

My buddy Tony always tells me "Drive thru it!"
So I did. 4-ways blinking, I pulled a U-turn on the expressway
and started creeping home, in the shoulder, at about 15 mph,
still in the deluge.

45 minutes of shoulder creeping later, I can see blue sky
head. The rain stops but the engine continues to stumble badly, unless I fuss with the pedals.

Ever so slowly the engine evens out and regains it's usual
rhythum until I'm back doing 60 mph.

So I ALMOST broke down but didn't. Anyone able to
explain rain driving in a TR6. This was my first real experience.

thanks,

dale</span>

https://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/TinsterTR6/cryptyNov1.jpg

TR6oldtimer
11-02-2008, 06:04 PM
More then likely, your plug caps, plug wires, or distributor cap was getting water on them, not enough to shut you down, but enough to cause your symptom.

Brosky
11-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Dale,

You can look at the inside of the cap and see if you have any residue from moisture.

I received an email from my website today. There is a young man in PR that is buying a TR6 from another location and having it shipped in. You will now be the official "Senior Advisor/Technician" on the island.

tony barnhill
11-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Today I took a 3 hour test drive that covered just over
100 miles driven.
First of all, Dale, that was <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> a test drive!! That was a <span style="font-weight: bold">DRIVE</span>, plain &amp; simple....<span style="font-weight: bold">STOP CALLING THEM "TEST DRIVES"!</span>

My buddy Tony always tells me "Drive thru it!"
So I did. 4-ways blinking, I pulled a U-turn on the expressway
and started creeping home, in the shoulder, at about 15 mph,
still in the deluge.
"Driving through it" means slamming the gas pedal to the floor &amp; making the ****ed thing straighten out or break! Then you can determine what caused the problem!

More then likely, your plug caps, plug wires, or distributor cap was getting water on them, not enough to shut you down, but enough to cause your symptom.
Yep, I agree with Ray....have you put that new distributor cap on Crypty? If so, then the only thing left in that system that you've not changed since Banjo, Mickey or I were down there are the plug wires! Even if you have changed them, you've pulled on them enough that you may have cracked/broken/damaged one....time to look at them closely.

Remember: Crypty needs to know that you trust him...tell him you're going on a "drive" not a "test drive"! Do you want me to come down there &amp; make the 'cross island Enduro' for you? You'll never forgive yourself if I do it!

Brosky
11-02-2008, 06:31 PM
"Kick the tires and light the fires"......

Great line from Harry Connick, Jr. to Will Smith and the flight crew in Independence Day.

Tinster
11-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Dale,

I received an email from my website today. There is a young man in PR that is buying a TR6 from another location and having it shipped in. You will now be the official "Senior Advisor/Technician" on the island.

<span style="color: #660000">Paul,

Let us hope DPO Pedro's drinking pals don't get to the lad first.

Anything I can do to help, you know I will.

d </span>

jlaird
11-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Had to be water on spark plug cables or inside dizzy. Must have been a heck of a rain.

poolboy
11-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Dale, did you find that the poor running to be coincidental with turning on the lights and using the wipers ? Did it start running better as soon as you reduced the electrical load ?

tony barnhill
11-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Dale, did you find that the poor running to be coincidental with turning on the lights and using the wipers ? Did it start running better as soon as you reduced the electrical load ?
Ooooh - good catch!!

Tinster
11-02-2008, 09:10 PM

<span style="color: #990000">Nope and Nope.

It really was a micro-squall with drenching rain and the road flooded
maybe 2 inch depth. Wipers and lights had been on quite a bit before
the problem suddenly happened.

I was still using wipers and had lights on when the problem slowly went
away. In my dim way, I guessed water got splashed up into the engine
compartment and was buggering up the ignition, somehow. Then maybe the
engine heat dried the water and the ignition went back to normal.

To be on the safe side- while doing about 50 mph, I put the car in neutral
and shut down the engine. Still in neutral, the engine cranked right up.

Is there perhaps some splash guard my car might be missing?

thanks all,

d</span>

poolboy
11-02-2008, 09:44 PM
It might be a good idea to take along a can of Water Displacing Forty (WD-40) in case you encounter another monsoon and the engine completely dies.

hilsideser
11-03-2008, 01:10 AM
(spray the wires?)

Tomster
11-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Can you spray the underside and inside the cap w/o issue?
We will assume dusting of spray only.

poolboy
11-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I never cared much for spraying anything inside the cap. Usually if moisture is an issue there, it condenses onto the dome of the cap. I have blotted the inside dry with a rag or paper towel.

swift6
11-03-2008, 03:54 PM
WD40 works a treat for this though.

poolboy
11-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Reminds me of the time I cleaned the inside of a dizzy with starting fluid, because I wanted it to dry fast.
I don't guess I waited long enough. First time I ever heard a distributor explode.

weewillie
11-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Dale wait until dark and you are at home then open the hood and spray the wires cap and plugs with water from a spray bottle and if there is a problem with them you should see them sparking. just my 2 cents worth (1.5 canadian)

Tinster
11-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Dale wait until dark and you are at home then open the hood and spray the wires cap and plugs with water from a spray bottle and if there is a problem with them you should see them sparking. just my 2 cents worth (1.5 canadian)

<span style="color: #000099">NOW you tell me this!!

Yes, Tony the blue Moss plug wires were 13 months of age.
Yes, Tony the dizzy cap is brand new as you recommended.

Tony!! Thanks for the heads-up on the plug wires. Never
would have crossed my mind they might be worn out.
I purchased a new, heavy duty, set of plug wires this morning.

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

I gutted the entire ignition system today except for the
plugs and dizzy itself. I am in the middle of installing
all new parts. Hopefully any part(s) damaged by the rain
are being be replaced and will meet the challenge of the
cross island Enduro, in the event of rain in the rain forest
portion of the run..

Odd though, the car fired right up this morning, warmed up
correctly and drove very strong until I shut it down.
I saw no water stains inside the dizzy cap, but I'll install
a new one to be safe.

regards,

dale
</span>

tony barnhill
11-03-2008, 06:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Hopefully any part(s) damaged by the rain [/QUOTE]
Rain didn't damage anything, Dale!

Why do you always 'gut the entire system' &amp; 'install all new parts'? You'll never figure out what your problem is that way!

Most probably, 1 thing got wet &amp; caused your problem &amp; you'll never know what it was until it does it again (on the other side of the island)...we're all pointing towards the most obvious things &amp; you need to check each of them - <span style="font-weight: bold">not arbitrarily replace them</span> - before moving on to the odd issues.

Heck, it could've been somewhere else altogether that some water got into the wiring harness - nowhere near anything you've worked on today!

I've got an idea: let's just jack it up &amp; run a new car under it! (Yes, I'm being sarcastic on purpose &amp; Dale understands why!)

Tinster
11-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Hey, Hey, Hey Tony!!!

I have not a clue how to diagnose individual pieces
in the ignition system. And there ain't no Triumph
mechanics within 1,300 miles of me.

What choice do I really have, other than replace the
entire kit &amp; kaboodle?

You know how many times I've been broken down and you
know how much I detest riding home on a flatbed tow truck.
You also know my auto mechanical skills are about zero.

How else should a non-mechanic approach breakdowns?

Yesterday scared me half to death. A failing engine;
in a blinding rain squall; 50 miles from home and a
no signal cell phone area as well.

Including the new battery- less than $300 for peace of mind.
I really have no other option.

What would you do under similar circumstances?
I'm more than open for suggestions.

as always,

d

poolboy
11-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I'd say you are a pretty good mechanic, Dale. Considering all the parts you've replaced and you seem prepared to replace a whole lot more, just by seeing the contents of your boot.
You might have a little trouble with diagnosing the problem, but I've seen lots of advice here on the Forum given to you to help you with that

Tinster
11-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Yupper Poolboy you are on the mark.

Were it not for the kind advice and technical help offered
to me by the BCF experts, this bucket of bolts TR6 would
have been sent to the steel recycle center 3 years ago.

It is awesome how far this P.O.S. car has come in three
years. Remember, I got only 67 miles driven the first 12
months after I bought the "fully restored" car. Year two
I was on jackstands 10 months; year three I've been on
jackstands 6 months out of 9.

100 miles driven without a breakdown is a MAJOR EVENT
for this particular auto.

Thanks one and all,

d

tony barnhill
11-03-2008, 10:36 PM
What would you do under similar circumstances? I'm more than open for suggestions.
Punch the accelerator &amp; listen closely until it cleared up or died...how it died could tell the tale, the noises, pops, etc.

Then, take a nap until the rain ended so I could get out &amp; start trouble shooting.

Similar situation: Years ago, out on the Kansas prairie about 2 hours from home (before the days of cell phones), my MGB started running real rough &amp; losing power....I could tell I had trouble in the upper end of the engine but had no clue what it was...finally, she wouldn't pull herself up a Kansas hill (you know, one of those little bridges under which cows moved from a field on one side of the road to one on the other side) so I had to coast to a stop.

Luckily, I had been at Lake Perry working on my boat &amp; had tools with me. So, I got out &amp; removed the valve cover to find a rocker had jumped off its lifter....engine was too hot to work on so I found what Kansans call a tree &amp; took a nap under its limited shade...when I woke up after the sun had moved enough to wake me, the engine was cool...I loosened the valve train, reinstalled the push rod under its rocker, adjusted the valves &amp; drove home.

You've gotta stop being afraid of that car, Dale!

jessebogan
11-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Dale, I have a story for you. My Daily driver is an 87 Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro wagon. Not a common car here, but I like it. At around 150K miles on of my front wheel bearings went bad, noisy etc. So, being a good car dad, I ordered one up, tore the whole left suspension off(required to do the job )Manhandled the strut/hub assembly to the press, and changed the bearing. The bearing cost about 50 bucks, and was an SKF, made in Spain (uh oh!). Drove the car about 1K miles commuting, and guess what, the same bearing failed again. Oh Poo!. Ordered one from the Audi dealer. 125 bucks, and guess what?? In the Audi box was a Made in Spain SKF. Oh Dear. So, I went thru the whole mess again, and figured that I had just gotten a bad part. So, a couple of days later I drove to the beach to spend some time with the aged parents and other family. On the way to the beach, the very same bearing failed. It got noiser and noiser. So, 125 miles from home, with no tools.... I tried to find someone there that would fix the car. No dice. I had to have MY OWN Car towed 125 miles at great expense.I called everyone I could think of, and the local NAPA got me a GERMAN made bearing. So now for the 3rd time, I changed the bearing. (It takes 3 to 4 hours each time) I have almost 3K miles on the german part. So far, so good. The Audi part has a 12/12 warranty, so I went to return it and get my 125 back, and they told me that all they would do was exchange it. Just what I wanted, another bad part. No thanks. I finally found a contact at SKF Corporate, and I complained about the quality of their parts. They secured me a refund for both parts, and I sent them "back for testing". I have heard nothing else. See, it happens to "real" mechanics too. They are just cars,and despite our best efforts, they can still put us through the wringer. I like the Audi because it has character, but it doen not have as much as the average British car. Ya just gotta roll with the occasional displays of temperment. It is just part of the charm....

RonMacPherson
11-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Hey, Non-Voter. update this, may need to change some voltage readings...

https://www.custompistols.com/cars/articles/ignition.htm

then keep a copy in the car.. school is in session..

weewillie
11-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Jesse you could prob got a vw part for 1/2 the price :laugh:

Tinster
11-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Hey, Non-Voter. update this, may need to change some voltage readings...

https://www.custompistols.com/cars/articles/ignition.htm

then keep a copy in the car.. school is in session..

<span style="color: #660000">Thanks Ron- great diagnostic procedure.
I'll keep a copy in the car, along with other "How tos".

many thanks,

d

PS: We ARE allowed to elect our own island governor and island
lawmakers. Today is election day, all businesses are closed by law.
The streets are filled with cheering folks from all four parties.

d</span>