solenoid on my overdrive unit.

Over time, a bead of oil forms under a bolt head just
below it.

Manual calls for a 1" or 25mm wrench (spanner). I think
it would need to be really thin and I think stubby to get
into the cramped space.

Anybody know where to get such a tool? I had a shop
in a neighboring town tell me they took a cheap standard
Craftsman wrench and ground it down thin to accomodate.

Isn't there a place to buy the right thing? (If it's
expensive, I might be grinding as well. Must be a reason
they do this.)

poolboy
10-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Dennis, I wouldn't even spend the money on a Craftsman if you have to grind it down. Get a cheepie. BTW there are thin wrenches. Whether they would be thin enough for that application...?

TR3driver
10-27-2008, 10:44 AM
I did a little digging on-line and didn't find anyone with a wrench to fit. 'Stubby' wrenches are too long (as well as too wide); while 'Tappet' wrenches are too wide (as well as too long).

So I sacrificed one out of a HF set.

davidk
10-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Pawn shops are also good sources for 'cheap' tools when you need one to modify.

jessebogan
10-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Check a well stocked bicycle store for a thin 25mm. I just made mine out of an old wrench, but if I had to do it again, I'd hit the bike shop first. Cheepo tip here, I buy up wrenches at yard sales with the idea of having a "disposable" core if I need to try to make a special tool. Much easier to spend a buck or tow....

Tinkerman
10-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Great idea Jesse, yard sales and flea markets are where most of my Craftsman tools have come from. I don't feel bad at all modifying a wrench I paid a buck or two for.

Good idea for you 2W.

Regards, Tinkerman

rlandrum
10-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Tractor Supply sells what I consider to be one time use wrenches. They are large enough to be used on tractors, but very soft. I destroyed one pretty easily on a steering box pitman arm nut.

I have a 1"-2" set, each costing about $5-$8.