PDA

View Full Version : Roccoco Red, thanx 71tr

TR6BILL
10-27-2008, 05:37 AM
Thanks to Alan (71tr), I took the cast aluminum valve cover off my head and replaced it with a stock, albeit gaudy, cover. Red is the new silver. A little salsa, anyone?

Who said the cast cover tends to quieten the valve train? Taint so. Or maybe my loud exhaust tends to drown out the rocker noise. Actually, my roller rockers were rubbing inside the cast cover, tired of grinding out the inside. Actually, there is more room inside the stock cover, even though it is smaller (and lighter) than the heavy aluminum cover.

Cooked the Wrinkle Paint inside my barbecue pit. (Krylon)

Alan, hope you finally got my letter.....sorry for the delay.

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/billkaram/cover.jpg

TR6BILL
10-27-2008, 05:40 AM
It's all Brosky's fault.

Tinster
10-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Looking Great Bill!!

Where did you purchase those great red spark plug wires??
I need a set for the Crypt Car!!

thanks,

d

anthony7777
10-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Looking Great Bill!!

Where did you purchase those great red spark plug wires??
I need a set for the Crypt Car!!

thanks,

d ya what he said! im likin dem wires too. :yesnod:

BobbyD
10-27-2008, 07:55 AM
I love looking at other people's "stuff"......it always gives me ideas like...I need to get some stainless valve cover nuts like those and dump the nylocs that I'm using. And then there's those plug wires.........if only they came in yellow!

But.....you did get Paul's approval before going with the red valve cover I hope! After all he has cornered the market on the use of red in an engine bay. :angel:

2wrench
10-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Looks great, Bill. There is just something about that red. It looks
kinda naughty, doesn't it?

I think it has that attraction that women had when they put a
cigarette in their mouth (not that I like this, but it says they are
stepping out, being bold...kinda naughty, you know?)

Maybe I better just shut up. Anyway, I like it!

Silverghost
10-27-2008, 09:34 AM
TR really means Testa Rosa in this case, I'd say!!

poolboy
10-27-2008, 09:41 AM
I like those acorn nuts, too. Reminds me of the ones on the old Jag's valve covers. Good thing about them is that it's harder to overtighten them and dimple the original valve covers. You know how easy that is to do.

2wrench
10-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Right. A thought I had was whether you could actually tighten them
enough; but, I doubt they would be there if you couldn't. Not very
likely Bill would put them there if they caused a leak.

Brosky
10-27-2008, 10:03 AM
I knew all of you guys would finally start to see the light, or should I say the see the red as I do?

Testa Rosa, indeed!!

Brosky
10-27-2008, 11:18 AM
I sincerely hope that the top of the Optima battery is red too!

sp53
10-27-2008, 11:20 AM
So Bill was the knock knock whose there, the valve train all the time?

TR6BILL
10-27-2008, 12:15 PM
So Bill was the knock knock whose there, the valve train all the time?

I wish. Still there. Only hear it upon startup, when the engine is lugging at idle. One day. Hopefully before it blows up.

The wires are Taylor. High quality wire set that you cut to length. I believe Pegasus has them.

Brosky
10-27-2008, 04:48 PM
I keep getting drawn back to this thread.

That is very classy Bill, very classy indeed.

TR6BILL
10-27-2008, 06:48 PM
For any of you curious about how to get a good finish on a part with crinkle paint, I have become somewhat of an "expert" on the stuff. First, buy only Krylon Wrinkle Paint, from most auto parts stores. I found mine at O'Reilly's auto parts. I have found Krylon to always be a superior quality rattle can paint. (I used Krylon Semi-Flat Black on my rear Kamm-back and windshield frame without ever having it show age or peeling.) Anyway, clean the part very, very well. I used a friend's media-blast cabinet to strip the valve cover. I pre-heated my gas barbecue pit to "hot" and then sprayed the cover with <span style="text-decoration: underline">one</span> uniform coating of the paint. Then immediately transferred the cover to sit atop a brick inside the hot barbecue pit. Oh, and I turned the flame off first. That stuff is pretty flammable! Within moments, the paint crinkled perfectly. You can use your wife's oven but not sure if the odor would put you in the dog house for a while. Let the item cool (not very long, trust me) and, voila!, a really nice, tough crinkle finish. The secret is to not over-apply the paint. The instructions suggest several coats and fairly thick. Wrong! One uniform coat is all you need. Too much paint and, believe me, the stuff runs. Stop if it does and strip the paint and start over. RUNS DON'T WORK. IT WON'T SMOOTH OUT. Ask me how I know this, three cans later. I used a very, very corrosive paint stripper to take the first two tries off. Worked quickly but unnecessary if you follow my "expert" instructions. There. My tip of the day.

davidk
10-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Bob, check Summit for yellow plug wires. They have several to choose from.

71tr
10-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Bill, fantastic results. I can't believe that is the sorry valve cover I sent to you. I'm sure the TR gods are please it found new life in your car rather than sitting in a box in my garage. Been traveling but will check my mail tomorrow for your letter, no worries.
Alan

PlaidMan
10-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Biil, wow, raise your hood and all I can say or think about is (Christmas). My favorite holiday ever, I'd be happy every time I openened that hood. Now that has got me thinking about the (List). Thanks Bill, Charlie