View Full Version : car insurance

tahoe healey
08-27-2002, 02:27 PM
I need to change auto insurance. Are there any policys for our Healeys used only part time. The ones I have found limit use only to "events" only and may not be used for pleasure weekends. Like, who ownes a Healey and doesen't look forward to a weekend of open roads. images/icons/confused.gif

08-27-2002, 02:39 PM
I just checked with Allstate today in CA and they are (amazingly) not writing any auto insurance. My current carrier will only offer liability.

I would be interested also in comments on insurance.

Scott Brunkhurst
08-27-2002, 04:23 PM
I bought collision and comprehensive from American Collectors. They give you 2500 miles
per year but not after six on saturday night or to work. They cover a value acceptable to both parties and will cover some parts and labor
during under certain conditions.


08-27-2002, 04:47 PM
You can also check with www.hagerty.com (https://www.hagerty.com) they allow limited pleasure use with no mileage restrictions. Quite a few of our club members use them. I do not know of anyone who has had to make a claim though.

08-28-2002, 02:53 AM
Hagerty Insurance allows for agreed upon value rather than book value.
The owner sets a value (within reason) This eliminates a discrepancy if someone totals your masterpiece.

I pay $203 for Liab/Coll/Comprehensive on a vehicle with agreed valued at $25,000.

Their mileage seems reasonable with no restrictions, however, I have not ever had a claim.

Will Harrison

08-28-2002, 03:10 AM
I think I can help you...and I'm allowed to drive the car...no milage limitation...best of all it only costs about $200 per year...the insurance company is One Beacon Insurance and it is offered by a company called Pollman's Insurance Agency...1-877-4POLLMAN is there toll free number...they are located in Los Alamitos, CA...

I only bought the liability no collision coverage...the best part...most vintage insurance allows only a few miles...there is no limit...try'em... images/icons/cool.gif

08-28-2002, 03:12 AM
I'm pleased with American Collectors Insurance, 498 Kings Highway North, Cherry Hill, NJ. I'm paying about $55/year for a Sprite valued at $4000. A friend of mine pays about $500/year for his Cobra replica (valued at $32,000). I'm sure they sell nationwide and I belive they have a website.

Max mileage per year is 2000 and policy does not seem to be real strict on what constitutes "display use" (I drive about 1500 miles per year in my car). Part of this may be related to NJ "Historic Plate" rules, which are based (I think) on common sense....other states may have stricter rules for historic plates, with insurance companies following local rules.

Also, here in NJ, in the summer, there's something involving vintage cars literally every day (mostly MacDonalds hot-rod shows), so it would be pretty hard to prove that you weren't going to a show. I always check the local schedule before I go out, just to cover myself.

08-28-2002, 03:26 AM
I have used American Collectors Insurance until recently. I paid about $225 a year for good coverage (collision, liability and comprehensive). They did state that the car could not be driven to work or parked at places like Walmart. That was fine for me until now because I have decided to drive the car more and enjoy life. I am now using United Services Automobile Association as my insurer - you have to a current or previous armed forces member to be a USAA member. Anyway, I liked the American Collector's organization. Pretty straight forward. However, I never had reason to make a claim so have no experience in that area.

John Loftus
08-28-2002, 07:57 PM
I have insurance with J.C. Taylor
www.jctaylor.com (https://www.jctaylor.com) It was something like $162/yr for $19,000 of coverage (agreed value for replacement).

This is what they say about eligibility:

Eligible vehicles must be used primarily for exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest. An occasional pleasure drive is acceptable.

Vehicles must be kept in a locked, fully enclosed garage when not in use.

Drivers must be 25 years old and have a clean driving record. Each driver in the household should have a daily use vehicle for everyday activity.

There is no mileage limit on this policy, however, we do use a limit of 2500 miles per year per vehicle as a reasonable maximum limit in our underwriting process. Additional mileage requests will be considered.

A color photo (front corner view) of each vehicle should be submitted with application and check. An appraisal or Bill of Sale must accompany a vehicle valued at $20,000 or more.

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: John Loftus ]</p>

08-28-2002, 08:47 PM
Vested interests: Hagerty, American Collectors, and J.C. Taylor advertise in my magazine. Personally, I've been using Hagerty's for many years and currently have my Healey, my Jag Mk2, and my MGA racecar insured with them. Recently I had to file my first claim for, believe it or not, wind damage to my race car while parked over night in the paddock at our vintage races at Thunder Hill, California in June. In a wind storm blew the bonnet (which hadn't been fastened down) open and bent the bonnet and shroud around the hinges pretty badly. Cost to repair was about $2000. I called in the claim on Monday, emailed them pictures of the damage on Tuesday, my body shop faxed them the estimate on Wednesday, and received a check to pay for the full cost of the damage the following Monday. All Hagerty needed to do was get the photo and estimate, and confirm that the damage happened while the car was parked (It doesn't cover the car when actually on the track.)
Gary Anderson
British Car Magazine

08-29-2002, 07:16 PM
If you're old enough and a member of AARP(American Association of Retired Persons), they work with Hartford Auto Insurance.

I pay about $600 a year in New York City to cover my 100M. It's written as vintage and I can log 2,000 miles a year without penalties.

I probably could get a cheaper premium, but I don't own a regular everyday car -- just the Healey for summer weekedns in the country. So the "vintage" insurers like Haggerty's won't write me a policy.

tahoe healey
09-11-2002, 02:24 PM
Thanks so much for all the replays. FYI, Hagerty was way less than $200 for the year without driving restrictions other than less than 2500 miles per year and no work use.

Ed Kaler
09-13-2002, 01:57 PM
I would like to offer my .02 as I sense something "missing" in most of these posts.

I've had J.C.Taylor going on 20 years now.

EVERY year I up the value of my car by at least $500.00. Currently she is insured for $26K and no, not a concours car (I WISH !!). My reasonming is simple. What would it cost me to replace her??? A number of years ago when I rebuilt the motor, bumped it $2500. Also, a large bump when new CWW added.

This is something that I think a lot of folks miss because just taken for granted. The same thought process has been applied to my wife's MGB.

When the renewel form arrives, I pretty much know what I am planning for the year and add my estimated mileage for the year on the form. One year I put down 6500 miles. No prob.

Ed graemlins/thirsty.gif

tahoe healey
09-13-2002, 05:11 PM
I was mostly looking for pleasure use which is often restricted to show and meet use. 2500 miles per year is ok for me since we have two seasons here, winter and road construction. With 5 1/2 inches of ground clearence and 5 feet of snow the garage gets my baby most of the year (great for repairs and re-storing). My regular insurance company wanted $1500 to add the Healey so I've profitted from the great leads form the forum.

09-14-2002, 03:12 AM
I agree with Ed...that's why my 67 BJ8 is insured for $50,000 (agreed value)...and it is not a concours model...yet what would it cost to replace...or rebuild...my annual rate is only $216...with unlimited milage at that... images/icons/smile.gif