PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack Question

KVH
10-20-2008, 01:08 AM
It's a slippery slope. What started as a head gasket replacement now has my engine and front end in pieces in my garage.

Here's the latest question for the experts:

I dismantled/removed my rack and pinion steering from my TR4A.

I noticed that under the passenger side rubber mount, the mount that fits under the U-Clamps, there a hole leading down into the rack mechanism.

I guess its sealed by the rubber mount when it's in place, but is this normal or am I missing a dowel or plug? Is this an access point for lubrication?

guzzul
10-20-2008, 09:21 AM
There is a small plastic plug that is supposed to go in that hole. I have no idea what it is supposed to do. I thought maybe it was just meant as a glide or bearing surface of some kind for that end of the rack.

I can't see that hole as a lubrication point because it is normally covered by the rack bushing and u-clamp. The only maintenance lube done on the rack is at the steering box.

BobbyD
10-20-2008, 02:52 PM
If this is what you're talking about, the TR6 has the same hole that's filled with a plastic/nylon dot. All I know is that the Goodparts' instructions said not to lose it. I have no idea why it's needed either.
https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/GoodParts/Images/RackNylonDot.jpg

KVH
10-21-2008, 02:43 AM
Yes, exactly. I'll be making a plastic dot this weekend. What a tremendous sense of self achievement I'll have. Thanks!