PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Harness

Texas_Cicada
06-25-2004, 07:47 PM
I need to replace the wiring harness in my Bugeye. The PO has taped and spliced the original to the point that he has outdone the Lord of Darkness in the shorts/loose connections department. I am interested in your views on a couple of fronts:
(1) experience with different vendors and manufacturers (Moss, Vicky Brits, etc.) I am particularly interested in who has the better installation instructions.
(2) any advice on how to remove the old wiring. I am not stripping the car down to the frame and I do not want to remove the engine. Any tips or tricks in getting the old wires out and the new ones back in while keeping everything else in place?
(3) anything I should stay away from or be careful of?

Trevor Jessie
06-25-2004, 11:25 PM
https://www.britishwiring.com/

Does a bugeye have that many wires? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Texas_Cicada
06-26-2004, 01:30 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifHA! HA! HA! Actually, I have two observations about the wiring in my car:

First, as the Bugeye was originally designed, there appears to have been only one very long wire that connected everything in series (generator to starter to windshield wiper motor to headlights to heater blower, etc.) This traditional English design was very efficient, as one fault could produce multiple failures (like an old-fashioned string of Christmas tree lights.) I have counted only two (2) fuses in the entire car...and I have the optional dual horns.

English wiring appears to be the opposite of German wiring, where no single electrical circuit contains fewer than four redundant wires and at least one hydraulic servo. Italian wiring, on the other hand, uses multiple wires, each of a sufficiently small gauge, such that each strand is capable of overheating, thereby igniting an individual fire. The French forgo wires altogether and use hand-blown glass tubes filled with mineral oil to carry the electric current.

My second observation is that the previous owner attempted to replace the single wire in my Bugeye piecemeal, by cutting out random sections and splicing in random bits from old appliances, extension cords, coat hangers and paper clips. He insulated these odds and ends with duct tape, electrician's tape, nail polish, paint, and old scraps of cloth. He apparently used the old wiring harness as a guide, because its carcass still runs around the car, supplemented now by the home-made replacement. As I have pointed out before in this forum, while my car is not in very good shape, at least I paid top dollar. Please don't tell my wife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

Texas_Cicada
06-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Seriously...any advice for buying and installing a new wiring harness?

philman
06-26-2004, 03:40 PM
If it were my car I would convert to a newer style fuse block with more fused circuits (such as one from painless). Probably a more difficult task, but then I wouldn't be worrying about the electricals. I'm putting one in my TR7 piggyback to the original fuse block for additional circuits and switching.