PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 77 midget

MikeMan
06-23-2004, 05:33 AM
I aquired my 77 mgb from my grandmother. She let it sit in a shed on a farm for 5 years. Now my problem is that the car does not turn off. I've asked what the problem with this was before on a different board, but I am looking for other ideas as to what it is. I was told it wasn't an all too uncommon problem either.

NC Mike
06-23-2004, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now my problem is that the car does not turn off.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hi Mike.

We'll need you to be a bit more specific about the problem.

Won't turn off; better described as,
1 continues to run as if you never turned it off, or,
2 spits and sputters and runs on, (dieseling), or,
3 other description.

Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

adam90009
06-23-2004, 10:14 AM
If 1. Check wiring. Ignition switch and wires.
If 2. Check anti run-on valve to see if it is even hooked up and or working and one thing I have also learned is the last 20 seconds you are running the car don't give it any gas. I pull into my driveway and let it idle in first all the way to its spot then it seam to turm off a little better. There is probably carbon build up in your head making it do this. I've heard sea foam works great to help that. I've heard not to use platnium spark plugs in some cars because the platnuim tip stays hot and can lead to pre detonation and maybe the tip stays hot and lets the engine continue to run(just my speculation on what I've read.)

MikeMan
06-24-2004, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hi Mike.

3 other description.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure wish I could. I'll be strait up. I don't know much if anything about cars. I'm 15 and like I said, I got the car as a gift from my grandma.

Thanks for the replies though.

RobSelina
06-24-2004, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hi Mike.

3 other description.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure wish I could. I'll be strait up. I don't know much if anything about cars. I'm 15 and like I said, I got the car as a gift from my grandma.

Thanks for the replies though.

[/ QUOTE ]

try on this one Mike, won't be able to help you otherwise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif does the engine run on for a little while? does it just keep running like normal? how long does it keep running?
also, you say in the title it's a midget, then say mgb in the first sentence, is it a midget or mgb?

NC Mike
06-24-2004, 02:25 PM
So much for any claim of being observant.
Nice catch Rob.

Mike: Don't give up on yourself just because you're 15. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

Try to give us a description. Go sit in the car and start it. Then shut it off, and give us a play-by-play, so to speak, of what happens next.

Let us know if the engine is warm (at normal operating temperature), and what the idle speed is(tachometer indicated RPMs)when you turn off the key, then describe your way through to ". . . and then it finally stops."

Still willing to try to help if your up to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

adam90009
06-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Wow you'r 15? I guess I'm not the youngest anymore. I'm 16. But listen to these guys here....they know alot.

Dave Russell
06-24-2004, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is probably carbon build up in your head making it do this. I've heard sea foam works great to help that.

[/ QUOTE ]
If anyone cares - Water works as well as the expensive carbon removers. Just feed it in slowly as you would the others.
D

Bruce74B
06-25-2004, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is probably carbon build up in your head making it do this. I've heard sea foam works great to help that.

[/ QUOTE ]
If anyone cares - Water works as well as the expensive carbon removers. Just feed it in slowly as you would the others.
D

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me??? Water? Dave, you have taught me a lot (thanks for the tip on the shocks too)...please elaborate???

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

RobSelina
06-25-2004, 04:18 PM
I've done the water trick too. basically you let the engine warm up and then you feed a small amount of water into the combustion chamber. I did it on a fuel injected V6, so the method wouldn't apply here, but I'm betting you could mist it though the carb with the air cleaner off. Basically you're trying to get water VAPOR into the cylinder to clean off the valves....you want the engine warm though to prevent hydrolock. I was a little skeptical at first, but a mechanic friend convinced me to do it (and helped). Truck ran great afterwards, never had any problems...

NC Mike
06-25-2004, 05:12 PM
[quote/]}Excuse me??? Water? Dave, you have taught me a lot (thanks for the tip on the shocks too)...please elaborate???

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce,

Water is an "old school" trick I've used in the past with carbureted engines. I don't remember what the mechanism is, but it works. . . the extra pressure from flash conversion of water to steam, whatever.

Dave, do you remember?

Regardless, I've found that a spray bottle works well. Supply a steady mist of water into the throat of the carbs after warming the engine.

I was actually shown a method of letting rather large drops of water fall through adjacent fingers while covering the mouth of a small bottle, but that typically puts too much water into the engine, and that can be a very BAD thing. It has the potential to bring the engine to an abrupt halt, often breaking things in the process.

While I'm on the subject of old school, have any of you used Marvel Mystery Oil before? Same technique, droplets into the carb. Tends to create large quantities of white smoke, much like burning transmission oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Seems to work well, nonetheless.