PDA

View Full Version : Selling cars?

Bret
06-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Selling a car is hard!

Warning rant ahead! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

OK Some of you might remember that we purchased a truck recently. Well the truck is doing fine but itís been over two months now that weíve been trying to sell my car with no luck. I guess Iíve gotten a bit spoiled from my past vehicle selling experiences and just canít believe the rotten luck weíve been having.

The trick it seems is what you are trying to sell. I know it sounds kind of obvious Ė like vanilla advice ya always get from that well meaning chap on playing the stock market. You know, ďbuy low Ė sell highĒ.

But the problem seems to be the fact it most folks just ainít buying passenger cars these days the way that SUVís and Trucks are a commodity all to their own. Itís obviously an American thing but nobody it seems wants a sedan these days. All of my previous vehicle sales have involved trucks in the past 10+ years and I always had people seemingly lined up for appointments days before the weekend. Many arriving on my doorstep with cash in hand. Never had to run an ad more than one week as they'd sell so fast. But again in those cases we where selling trucks.

Oh well, I think Iím asking a fair price between $2,000 and $1,500 below blue book. A couple of bits but no offers to date. Iím thinking of taking a loss but might consider ebay and enter the actual payoff as my ďbuy it nowĒ price or at least my minimum bid.

Another idea might be to use the car as a trade-in at a dealer for my wifeís new SUV and sell her 95 Explorer? Of course the Explorer is in great shape and we donít own anything on it. Catch-22 either way I look at it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Any other suggestions?

Signed,
Discouraged in Poway
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

coldplugs
06-22-2004, 10:24 PM
I assume you're advertising in the local newspaper. I recently sold my MGB through our paper and included a phone number, email address, and a website where I put a few pictures. It took about 3 weeks to sell. The interesting thing to me was that no one contacted me by phone - everyone emailed.

You could try that if you haven't already. Otherwise, maybe try a couple of different newspapers.

We recently sold a '96 Camry for pretty good money after about a month.

If all else fails, paint it red.

Good luck...

Bret
06-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Just so ya know - I'm not selling my 78B. Wife has hinted at this but it ain't going to happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

Anyway the car I listed is my 2000 Dodge Intrepid and it is listed in the local paper, as well as the Autotrader (paper and on-line). I also just lowered the asking price below what I owe on it. And according to blue book it's worth about $2,000 more than that given the miles and options (stock & aftermarket).

Donít get me wrong - I'm not knocking SUVs or full-size truck. Mater-a-fact I own one of each. But that seems to be what every body wants these days.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

78Z
06-22-2004, 11:59 PM
I have found that it is very easy to sell - cheap vehicles (ie under $3K) or unique vehicles (LBC, other sports cars, etc) but cars that are only a couple years old are very hard to sell. I remember my parents had to practically give away their Ford Contour 4cyl/5spd a number of years ago. The best way I've found is in the Autotrader not the local newspaper. This is all of course based on the western Canadian market which is totally screwy anyway.

MattP
06-23-2004, 06:12 AM
I run them into the ground and donate the remains to the Kidney Foundation, so this advise is second hand. I used to work with a guy that had pretty good luck at the local dealer auctions. Not sure all the details (he wasn't a detail kind of guy.) but this might be another option for you. Or there is always E-bay.

sammyb
06-25-2004, 01:16 AM
One of the reasons that you're having trouble is Dodge has a horrible reputation for reliability (all Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth.) It's a reality that the car will need expensive transmission work. (I've watched the tranny go out on every Mopar either I have owned, or those owned by family and friends.)

The Intrepid is a great large vehicle, but they just don't have the resale of imports. It seems most people want a Camry or Accord...people in the market for large cars go for Crown Vickies.

Bret
06-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Hey Sammy,

Well that thought has crossed my mind. Obviously youíve had some bad luck with Mopars over the years and yes, Iíve heard of the notorious transmission problems Chryslers seem to have.

But I can only speak for personal experience and say that of all the vehicles Iíve own or driven over the years most were indeed Chrysler products. Minivans mostly spanning the first 3 generations and a few B & E bodies, the absolutely horrid K-car, a Daytona, a Horizon (sisters), a Rampage PU, a first generation 1997 Intrepid and the current one I am trying to sell. And I must tell you that I never had any major problems with any of them, other than the customary wear & tear. Consumables: Tires, breaks etc and basic servicings.

Now in your case I couldn't say. Perhaps it might have been just plain bad luck. The only real problem I have with Chrysler that kindía supports the negativity about their tranys - is the rather short recommended service cycles for the Transaxle. To me 30,000 miles seems a bit too short and I would wager most folks donít read the owners manual as they should and if so this could be a contributing factor to the problem. Fact is some folks think that servicing their pride & joy is noting more than putting gas in the tank, toping off the wiper fluid reservoir and taking it down to the car wash are all they need to do.

BTW I rent many MANY cars year round and one of the worst in the mid-to full size marketplace, was the previous version of the Camry. No guts, Tinny body and the styling was nothing to write home about. Oh & try to put something heavy like a tool box in the trunk (unsecured) and it will put dimples in the exterior rear quarter panels when you take a turn a little hard. IMHO the best thing it has going for it is itís a Toyota.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Steve_S
06-30-2004, 08:54 PM
I was having trouble selling my '88 BMW 735i. I tried classifieds, eBay, you name it. Then I found a place near me called The Auto Fair. You park your car for $35 in a lot for the weekend and people from all over come to look. I got numerous calls from people with cash in hand, literally. I ended up selling the car for $1000 over high bluebook after a short bidding war between buyers! We also sold our '97 Explorer there in one day! If there is something near you, I highly recommend it. I think that seeing the car in person makes all the difference, especially if it's in good condition. Good luck!

huck6
07-08-2004, 04:19 PM
You can also try letting it go on consignment at a local independent lot. This also saves you from having to invite strangers to your home.

Bugeye58
07-08-2004, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the reasons that you're having trouble is Dodge has a horrible reputation for reliability (all Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth.)

[/ QUOTE ]
A Chrysler engineer friend of mine said that the reason they named it the Sebring was that it ran for 12 hours.
Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

sammyb
07-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Does that mean the Pontiac LeMans and Dodge Daytona are twice as good? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of the reasons that you're having trouble is Dodge has a horrible reputation for reliability (all Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth.)

[/ QUOTE ]
A Chrysler engineer friend of mine said that the reason they named it the Sebring was that it ran for 12 hours.
Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Geo Hahn
07-08-2004, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I've watched the tranny go out on every Mopar either I have owned...

[/ QUOTE ]

My high school job was at a fast-food place. My college summer job was at the Chrysler transmission plant.

I have since avoided fast food and Chrysler products.

Bret
07-08-2004, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...I've watched the tranny go out on every Mopar either I have owned...

[/ QUOTE ]

My high school job was at a fast-food place. My college summer job was at the Chrysler transmission plant.

I have since avoided fast food and Chrysler products.

[/ QUOTE ]

So according to you guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Ė I guess I must be the only guy on the planet who has never had transmission problems with Chrysler products.

Truth be told Ė Iíve had far more problems (major & minor) with my GM products (all three of them) than all of my vehicles combined over the years and Iím counting all of my Fords and my MG too.

The worst of all the cars Iíve ever owned was a 78 Nova (three months total). Down right criminal whoever the guy was who designed that Piece of SÖ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif).. sorry Baz - thatďthingĒ.

Anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Bret
07-10-2004, 12:23 AM
BTW Good News - I sold the Car today! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Lowered the asking price about a $1,000 below ďprivate partyĒ blue book and had been letting it ride for the past month with nary a nibble of interest. Then out of nowhere I got a call Wednesday afternoon & showed it that night. This afternoon we signed the papers and I turned over the keys. Paid off the balance of the loan and got an extra $300 buck in my pocket.

How do I spell relief?... SOLD!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bugeye58
07-10-2004, 01:32 AM
So, what $300.00 goody is the "B" getting? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

Bret
07-10-2004, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, what $300.00 goody is the "B" getting? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Alas, all profits have been confiscated by my better (stingy) half. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

I was so happy at finally selling the car I forgot the number one guy rule when selling something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif and told my wife what I actually sold the car for.

Bret
07-10-2004, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Alas, all profits have been confiscated by my better (stingy) half. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif
<<SNIP>>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wife went shopping this morning (Sigh), weíre now the prod owners of a new Hover Steam Vacuum for cleaning our carpets.

Womenfolk!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Steve_S
07-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Maybe you can use it to clean your car's upholstery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bugeye58
07-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Or your driveway!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
Jeff