PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire starting a barnfind spitfire

sabot
09-26-2008, 01:56 PM
hi all,
going to try and start the 67 spit i picked up.
guy i got it from says it last ran about 9 years ago.
i already know i have to switch the battery cable's around when i put in the new battery.
what other suggestions are out there?
thanks tom

tosoutherncars
09-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Tony (forum sponsor, the Autoist) has a big write-up on this topic. I'll see if I can find it...

tosoutherncars
09-26-2008, 02:12 PM
https://www.theautoist.com/awakening_a_sleeping_b.htm

I'll say... the only thing I disagree on there would be changing the oil before starting it up. If there is swarf, sediment etc. in the engine, it has most certainly drifted down to the bottom of the pan and 'sludged up'. It will not be removed by draining cold oil that's been sitting for heaven knows how long. If you change it cold, then start it up, all that junk is still in your engine.

I'm a proponent of doing everything else, starting it up and letting it get completely up to temperature, and *then* shutting it off and immediately changing the oil and filter. I would suggest doing it again after a few hundred miles, and then assuming a regular maintenance cycle.

Opinions will vary... that's my two cents.

tdskip
09-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi Tom - I've used that list as my reference point on every cars that I acquired. You can opt-out of some of the items if you deem them not necessary, but all fluids and consumables is a good way to go.

Keep is posted, and good luck!

sabot
09-26-2008, 04:45 PM
oil is cheap, i'll most likely change the oil cold at first and then right away when hot.
worse case, the motor is messed up or seized, i'll have to drop a rebuilt motor in that i got thru work........
thanks for the info
tom

guzzul
09-26-2008, 10:40 PM
I would agree with Duncan above about all the crud settling down into to the pan. And for that reason I would want to drain the oil and then pull the sump pan right off and clean it out before trying to start.

They're not that difficult to get off (heck, you're going to do it at least once anyway in the coming months), and it would give you a good look at exactly what is in the bottom of it. You'd be surprised at what you find (like thrust washers, for instance) in some.

Along the same lines, I'd stick a new oil filter on before startup. They're cheap, and who knows what's in the old one?

Norton47
09-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Ditto Ross
Pull the pan and clean and check thrust washers. Of course you can get a good idea of the thrust washer condition from the outside. Push back on the crankshaft with a pry bar or shovel handle and then have someone else step on the clutch. Watch how much the crankshaft end moves or better yet feel it, or best put a dial indicator on it.
The pan drops easy.

foxtrapper
09-27-2008, 08:31 PM
My goodness but how some of you make this complex. Going through the linked list of how to start up a barn find, you may as well rebuild it, your most of the way there already following those instructions.

Andrew Mace
09-27-2008, 09:07 PM
:iagree: