PDA

View Full Version : Wedge Best electronic ignition for my TR8

SCguy
09-25-2008, 02:56 PM
My car has a Luminition electronic ignition. I'm told that its one of the worst. Which ignition should I put in?

Working on solving my surging issues and was told to start here.

DNK
09-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Typical answer would be Woody. Know he sells the Mallory but not sure if that works for the FI.
Asked that question about my OBD1 and haven't heard.

tdskip
09-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Hey Larry!

I installed a Mallory from Woody and it's been great, although with the oil and new clyinder heads and floor repairs I haven't driven her much.

philman
09-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm using a Mallory unilite distributor with a MSD6 ignition box.

PATR8
09-25-2008, 09:20 PM
I have Mallory Distributor and MSD6 Box too. I like it a lot.

philman
09-26-2008, 08:02 AM
I made a component plate and mounted my msd box under the glove box with the fuel pump relay and ran an auxillary harness through the right wing. With an optical distributor you don't worry so much about stray magnetic fields. It seems to work well. The regular molex connectors are rated at only about 10 amps so I purchased some johnson pole connectors rated at 30 amps from a ham radio supply store. Some people recommend running the MSD box power on dedicated wires directly from the battery. I still have to sort out the tachometer, with an msd box you will need to either purchase a tach adapter or get wedge shop to modify your existing tach. Woody can explain why, I just haven't got around to it yet, other bugs have a higher priority.

swift6
09-26-2008, 09:04 AM
The Crane XR700 works pretty well too.

Tinster
09-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Typical answer would be Woody. Know he sells the Mallory but not sure if that works for the FI.
Asked that question about my OBD1 and haven't heard.

Don, the Mallory dizzy?

Is it a stright replacement for the Lucas?
Or must other things be modified.

d

DNK
09-26-2008, 10:28 AM
I have a Mallory in my 6. It does not come with the drive cog on it. I bought a new one and installed it on the Mallory dizzy. You have to drill a hole for the cog pin in the dizzy.
That said, it won't work for our tachs. I had the Gauge Guys (https://www.gaugeguys.com/) redo a tach I got off eBay to run by the electric dizzy. One day I'll see it work.

RonMacPherson
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Cuz,

From your description of problems the problem is not IN the distributor the problem is supply to the distributor.

That's why I want you to monitor supply voltage to the distributor.. Something is burning out your condensors... It is NOT normal for a condensor to have such a short life....

The condensor, actually a capacitor, is an electric sponge, sized for the voltage input to the distributor. Once you find out the condensor specs you can go to Mallory, Accel or Blue Streak, three known quality ignition manufacturers and purchase a condensor that will work in your car... Days of old(I'm talking when we were both riding tricycles here) Condensors were not usually replaced when the car was "tuned up"..As they were so reliable. Then the parts people started pushing them, so the tuneup kits came with condensor included. Once in a while you will get a faulty condensor, but it is a rarity...

I still think you are getting a voltage spike to your coil/distributor..... Your symptoms are consistent with that.

There are also other ways to "attack" your problem. You can convert the ignition to either Ford or Gm electronic ignition systems. Search the web as they have been put in cyber space long time ago. The beneficial thing about those conversions is not that costly and less susceptible to voltage fluctuations....