View Full Version : Water Pump Replacement Information

AngliaGT
09-16-2008, 11:56 PM
The Tr6 needs front brakes (but I don't even want-
- to think about tearing it down until something else-
- gets put back together!).
I decided to drive it (very carefully).When I visited
another TR6 owner,noticed some coolant on the ground.Upon
closer inspection,found out that the water pump's going.
What needs to/should be done to fix this?

- Doug

martx-5
09-17-2008, 06:33 AM
The easiest thing to do is replace the water pump with a new one. They are readily available from all the usual sources.

Percy
09-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Right on, the usual sources... any recommendations as to which source may have the best part? As well anyone know of a North American distributor who may have an "uprated" type?

Experiencing the simaller conditions with my 6 water-pump, but I'll include a bit of noise.

Yikes!

Bob_Muzio
09-17-2008, 02:10 PM
FWIW, I recently obtained a new water pump from Moss and there was a "Made in England" sticker on it. There is an upgraded 6 bladed impeller one for the TR4, I don't know if there is one available for the sixes. I had a bad experience several years ago with the 6 bladed ones (they leaked immediately) and since the 4 bladed one worked fine I've now stayed with that one.
Bob

TR3driver
09-17-2008, 04:10 PM
The TR6 6-vane water pump is available from BFE (https://www.britishframeandengine.com/parts1.html)

As I understand it, the problem with the ones that leaked immediately was that the shaft was not positively located in the bearings, making it easy to push the shaft back when installing the pulley. That would unload the face seal, causing it to leak.

The workaround was to be careful not to apply ANY force to the bearings while installing the pulley (best practice anyway); and then check the shaft position afterwards.

But supposedly snap rings were added to solve the problem permanently.

How much of that applies to the TR6 pump, I don't know.