PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Diff Mounting

glemon
09-14-2008, 10:45 PM
The differnetial mounting rubber for TR250/6, is this something that should be replaced as a matter of course on a restoration, or one of those rare rubber parts that seems to last forever, I am guessing replace, but before I shell out the bucks thought I would ask the collective wisdome of the forum.

Greg

BobbyD
09-15-2008, 07:08 AM
If you're doing a restoration, I'd hope you're replacing all the bushings in your suspension and diff. And yes, the rubber bushings do wear out i.e. break down. If you have Poly or Nylatron bushings they are supposed to "last forever-ish"

glemon
09-15-2008, 07:29 AM
That pretty much what I figured, TRF has the set over half off so its on the way.

Tinster
09-15-2008, 07:34 AM
If you're doing a restoration, I'd hope you're replacing all the bushings in your suspension and diff. And yes, the rubber bushings do wear out i.e. break down. If you have Poly or Nylatron bushings they are supposed to "last forever-ish"

<span style="color: #990000">Yup!! Replace all the bushings in rear, front and diff.
I used rubber of the diff and both trailing arms for a quieter, less jolting
ride. I used poly everywhere else. Plus poly are a bit easier to install than
rubber

dale :thumbsup:</span>

kodanja
09-15-2008, 07:50 AM
I used the poly on my differnetial mounting.
Seems to be holding up well so far, I dont really hear or feel a difference from the original rubber...

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/DSC00951.jpg

Tinster
09-15-2008, 08:18 AM
<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FFCC33">SHOW OFF !!!! </span></span>

:lol:

kodanja
09-15-2008, 08:49 AM
that is a rebuild from Quantum mech. John put in a higher ratio gear...

BobbyD
09-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Call me crazy but...........that looks like John Deere yellow! What next, the calipers and drums? :lol:

BobbyD
09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Back to the bushing question.....I did my front suspension with Nylatron the winter of '06-'07 and didn't notice any unusual harshness. I also did a solid steering rack mount and everything felt fine. This past winter I did Nylatron on the TAs and the diff and also new poly spring collars on the rear. I definitely feel a difference with it transmitting more road feel and harshness. They also squeak when cold despite a liberal coating of grease during assembly. Once I get going they seem to quiet down. I don't plan on changing back as it's not too bad but it is noticeable.

kodanja
09-15-2008, 08:29 PM
you know darn well the calipers and drum were already painted john deer yellow...lol!!!

btw: I really dont notice any sqeaks from them!

DougF
09-15-2008, 09:26 PM
I agree with BobbyD. I spent some time talking to Richard Good while at the Glen last week. One of our club members was talking to him about Nylatron bushings and the thoughts of a harsh ride. I told him that bushings are used at pivot points. I don't want these pivot points to be softening the ride, that is for the springs, shocks, and seat bottoms. You feel more through the steering wheel, that's about it.
I've been running nylatron for six years on my TR6 and love them.

Tom74TR6
09-15-2008, 09:48 PM
There isn't much adjustment available in the solid bushings. The trick is to set the front (conical) bushings first and keep the rear loose so it can find it's position. There is some play in the metal bracket that is sandwiched between the bushes in the rear.
Tom C
https://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk199/Tom74tr6/Rear%20Differential/9-6-08010.jpg
https://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk199/Tom74tr6/Rear%20Differential/9-6-08007.jpg