PDA

View Full Version : My Up-date

DNK
09-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Had the 7/8 in to check the lifter. He say's just "drive the bodily fluids out of it" (credits to who ever said that on Friday) It might eventually free itself. Gave me some foul smellin stuff to try. Funny, sometime it is very loud and other times it is barely noticeable.
He also added a gasket under the plenum ,for some reason Rover doesn't think one is necessary. While he was doing that he found a small vac leak that has been messin with my idle. I had pinched a wire under the plenum to the idle control deally.

Will be getting a chip programmer to fiddle with a couple of richness issue next.this will also help me retune after the headers and bigger heads if I ever get to them.

DrEntropy
09-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Just get it to RUN right first, Don. How on earth did you manage to get a wire between mating surfaces?!?! You may need to cut back onna CAB's or get more sleep from now on. :wink: :jester:

<span style="font-style: italic">EDIT: I believe you're quoting Frank, BTW.</span> :thumbsup:

DNK
09-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Ya have to pull the plenum to pull the right hand side valve cover. I had it off to look for valve noise a back when

It runs good now the mechanic says just drive it.
I have 2 issues
1. At cold syart up the idle goes between about 400-1500 rpm as it goes rich lean. I thought the cold start should be on closed loop so it shouldn't do that.The computer being out of a Z28 I'm not sure how much time was spent re coding that.
2. the warm idle is about 2 + RPM higher than I want. About 900.
3.I need to see the O2 sensor #'s for the idle. low speed and cruise.
At idle it is a touch rich.

Other than that it is scary fast and I can't shift fast enough as it climbs thru thew gears. I can't imagine the higher rear end on this.

Credit to Frank :laugh:

philman
09-14-2008, 12:55 PM
I have the 3.45 gear set out of my TR7 available? I also had a wrench fabricated for turning the pinion nut to set the spacing.

DNK
09-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Mine is a 3.45

tdskip
09-14-2008, 07:14 PM
This is a pretty good / encouraging update Don. Feeling better about her?

DNK
09-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Always :thumbsup:

DNK
09-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Found this on a website.

Loud noise at normal operating temperature only. If a lifter develops a loud noise when engine is at normal operating temperature, but is quiet when engine is below normal temperature, it indicates an excessively fast leak down rate or scored lifter plunger. Recondition or replace lifter.

That's my situation in a nutshell.How do you recondition a lifter?

philman
09-15-2008, 09:12 PM
lucky for you they are simple to replace. I just did it on my Rangie (4.2l engine)two months ago. Took me about three hours and two cups of tea. I purchased new ones from one of our supporting vendors, Gold Coast Rovers, at a reasonable price. Their shipping is pretty fast also.

DNK
09-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Can you quick explain the process in a PM??