PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Glove Box Instalation

martx-5
09-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Very perplexing...I've got a new box and installation kit from TRF. The old box was non existant when I got the car many, many years ago, so I don't know how to install the one I bought.

The box itself has about 1/4" hole in the rear lower left corner. I assume that's for the "L" shaped bracket that has a machine stud pressed into the short leg and a hole in the long leg. After that, I draw a blank. Also in the kit are four spire nuts with with sheet metal screws and washers. Where do they go?? There's also another hole punched in the front, right side bottom and what looks like the start of another hole also along the front bottom as well as one up top.

Any help will be appreciated.

Moseso
09-12-2008, 04:07 PM
There should be a couple of holes in the bottom rail of your dash. Put two spire nuts on the lower front edge of the glove box where they coincide with the holes and run a couple of screws up through 'em from the bottom rail of the dash. There should also be a metal "L" spot welded to the backside of the dash to the left of the lock (looking from the backside). A spire nut goes on it and a screw goes up from the inside of the glove box through that. I haven't figured yet what to do with the bracket that TRF supplied in the kit, but you've given me some ideas of where to look. I was figuring that those three screws would do it.

My old glove box was there (but not in any condition to re-use) and had some fittings on it that might have been an attempt to repair the sagging thing. There was an "L" bracket pop riveted to each side of the box, and one on the top, that were screwed to the dashboard with small screws and nuts -- through the dash and then the brackets behind. Anyone else seen that arrangement?

Moseso
09-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Art --
Last night I decided that the bracket loosely attached to the front (of the car) end of my right-hand dash support bracket is either an original version of the mystery bracket in the TRF kit, or, is what the mystery bracket attaches to.

So -- the mystery bracket attaches to the glove box at the left-side-front-of-the-car end -- and somehow or another, to the dash support bracket. Does that make sense?

martx-5
09-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Yes it does, I pretty much have this figured out everything thanks to you. The bracket in question does attach to the support bracket between the dash and battery box. The machine screw end goes into the slot in the bracket. I kinda put the bracket there and everything else seemed to line up pretty good including the hole in the back of the glove box. I do not think that there are two brackets involved...just the one "L" shaped bracket...tha't the "mystery" bracket. See the pic below. Hopefully, I can get this done today. If I run into a problem, I'll post back.

DNK
09-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Hey, I recognize those wires. That's ta Dan kit! :laugh:

martx-5
09-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey, I recognize those wires. That's ta Dan kit! :laugh:

You're right Don. I want to get this glove box thing worked out, because I have one last thing to wire up and that's the air fuel ratio gauge. I decided to stuff it in the glove box, as there just wasn't any other place that I was happy with. Since it's not a guage I constantly have to monitor, the glove box will work out just fine.

Edit: BTW, I am extremely happy with the way everything worked out with Dan Masters wiring kit. It was alot of work, but I'm happy with the results. I hope the new guy that took over keeps up Dan's tradition of quality and good engineering.

newmexTR3
09-15-2008, 08:27 AM
I just got around to putting my glove box in yesterday. It's "half way" in there now. One thing I'm unclear on- at the top of the opening there are two small screws and nuts with a backing plate.

On the glove box unit itself there is a tab that is notched out of the material- does this tab go under the aforementioned backing plate?

Cheers,
Gavin

martx-5
09-15-2008, 03:25 PM
The notch in the top center of the box itself should fall in back of striker plate for the door latch. The notch is clearance for the arm of the door latch. About 3/4" to the right of that plate there should be a tab on the top section of the dash panel with a spire nut on it. There should be a corresponding hole in the box itself to put a screw through into that nut.

Pic of installed glove box...

Edit: Also notice the two screw heads at the bottom of the dash. There are two spire nuts that clip onto the box itself that these screws go into. You can't see the other screw in the back because the AFR gauge is in the way, but that is the screw that goes into the "L" bracket that attaches to the dash brace.