PDA

View Full Version : Call for help: Pasadena, CA UPDATE PROBLEM SOLVED!

jjbunn
09-11-2008, 03:47 PM
I still have not found a set of wheels that I can use to get my damaged TR6 off the street. The police now have a warning sticker on my car threatening a tow :frown:

Can anyone in the area please help me out by lending me their spare wheel for 1/2 hour so that I can move my car off the street? I'm not sure what else to do. Help!

crj7driver
09-11-2008, 04:36 PM
If I lived closer I could help you out, I have all 4 of my wheels off right now. Go to the junk yard and get a spare tire for a late 80' early 90's Honda Accord. It uses a 4 x 4.5 bolt pattern and since the tire is so small and narrow the offset won't make a difference. I don't think they want much for those mini spares so it might be a quick option.

Check out ebay item 310077055994 to see what I am talking about. Make sure you bring your tape measure to make sure you get 4 x 4.5 and not 4 x 100mm. Civic's run 4x 100 so watch out for those. You will need to make sure the center bore is big enough, but I think that shouldn't be an issue.

Good Luck.

roofman
09-11-2008, 04:37 PM
What happened to damage the car?

jjbunn
09-11-2008, 05:04 PM
If I lived closer I could help you out, I have all 4 of my wheels off right now. Go to the junk yard and get a spare tire for a late 80' early 90's Honda Accord. It uses a 4 x 4.5 bolt pattern and since the tire is so small and narrow the offset won't make a difference. I don't think they want much for those mini spares so it might be a quick option.

Check out ebay item 310077055994 to see what I am talking about. Make sure you bring your tape measure to make sure you get 4 x 4.5 and not 4 x 100mm. Civic's run 4x 100 so watch out for those. You will need to make sure the center bore is big enough, but I think that shouldn't be an issue.

Good Luck.

Thanks ... I already tried that ... phoned up a couple of places from the Yellow Pages, but none had what I needed.

I'm at the end of my rope on this one :smile:

TR3driver
09-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Julian,
If you are willing to drive to Lakewood (maybe 5 miles from 710/91 interchange), I'll loan you some wheels & tires tonight.

Unfortunately I won't be home until 8 PM or so.

Or, if you don't want to drive that far, let me make some phone calls tonight and see what I can scare up.

Just for moving off the street, wheels from any TR2-6 or Stag will do.

TR3driver
09-11-2008, 05:12 PM
get a spare tire for a late 80' early 90's Honda Accord.Just curious, have you tried this? The "compact spare" wheel I tried (from a Nissan, maybe) would not clear the brake calipers.

crj7driver
09-11-2008, 05:30 PM
get a spare tire for a late 80' early 90's Honda Accord.Just curious, have you tried this? The "compact spare" wheel I tried (from a Nissan, maybe) would not clear the brake calipers.

I haven't tried it personally, I didn't think about the calipers. I was just looking for quick cheap available solutions. If clearance was an issue the caliper could easily be removed for the 100ft or so it need to be moved. Also the wheel could be installed backwards with the dish facing the opposite direction then it should clear everything. Obviously this is not for driving more than a few blocks in that configuration.

Andrew Mace
09-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Are the original wheels so bent that they can't be used? What about swapping the bent ones to the rear and temporarily using the presumably good rear wheels on the front? or calling your own tow truck, which I'll wager will be cheaper than a police-initiated tow? :shocked:

Tinster
09-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Julian__

You know the primative conditions where I live!

Down here, where it costs $250. American
to tow my dead TR6 a tiny 3/8 of a mile to home,
..................If I were you.......

I'd put one of those jacks with four little wheels
under the front frame and poco a poco push the dead TR
where you want it for repairs.

Really, one foot push and move. Adjust jack, one foot
push and move......etc.

I'd gladly send you my spare tire, since my car ain't
going anywhere soon but the foreign country shipping
fees and time prohibit.

I'm real sorry to hear about all them folks over in India
ranting and raving about yer machine.

Knuckleheads one and all.

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="color: #333399"><span style="font-weight: bold">" Beam me up, Scottie!! "</span></span></span>

d :crazyeyes:

jjbunn
09-11-2008, 06:32 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!

In desperation I drove up to a nearby body shop - B&amp;K on Walnut. A guy there took a sledgehammer to my bent wheel and bashed it out sufficiently flat that when I took it back home I could get it on the car, and drive it into the back yard. And he charged me nothing!!! Hoorah for B&amp;K on Walnut.

I am ecstatic.

Many thanks Randall and everybody else for the support.

Now, prepare for some heavy duty photo posts where I document in gory detail what has to be done on the front end.

tdskip
09-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Julian - I just got back from Dallas otherwise I would have pulled some wheels for you today and driven them up.

Let me know if you get stuck over the weekend.

2wrench
09-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Julian, I've been out of the loop for a while. What happened to your
car?

TR3driver
09-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Glad to hear you're going to tackle it instead of giving up, Julian.

Good luck! (not that you'll need it)

DNK
09-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Give it heck ,Julian

jjbunn
09-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Julian, I've been out of the loop for a while. What happened to your
car?

Hi 2!

Haven't seen you here for a while.

Basically the stub axle on the driver's side detached from the car, at 30mph. This left me with three wheels, and the car pitched over and ran along on only two of them at an angle of 45 degrees for a while before righting itself and smashing into a high curb, warping the offside front wheel.

There's a post here somewhere called "driving on two wheels - not recommended" that tells the full story.

The driver side wing is buckled and shot. The brake caliper snapped off. The driver's floor pan is pushed up and into the car, and I have damage to the vertical link and other parts of the suspension.

Frankly, I thought the car was going to flip over completely and crush me.

AngliaGT
09-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Sorry to hear - at least you didn't get hurt.
The best thing is to realise what could have happened.
Be thankful for that.Hope it goes well from here on out.

- Doug ('74-1/2 TR6)