PDA

View Full Version : Gave you guys a break. Back with a few questions

2wrench
09-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Sorry. Car is not running yet, but kinda close.
Couple questions:

Anybody know what this little blue devil is on the side
of the engine block ('74 TR6)? That wire is hanging by
a thread. Can you point me in a catalog where to order,
maybe? Thanks.

https://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/2wrench/P1010095-3.jpg

Also, in some of the books I've made reference, I have seen
more than one of these (called flash arrester, maybe?).
On my car, I only had one. Wondering if previous owners
removed others or if just one is all I'm supposed to have.
Here is the pic:

https://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/2wrench/P1010096-3.jpg

Lastly, two pics with the question: Do you know where this
green wire should attach? First picture shows the harness
from which the wire comes. The second picture will show
where I think it might possibly belong.

https://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/2wrench/P1010094-3.jpg

Does it go here, maybe????

https://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/2wrench/P1010093-3.jpg

DougF
09-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Picture 1: You won't find it in a Big Three Catalog. Maybe at Radio Shack. It's to reduce feedback into your car stereo.

Picture 2: Your car should have 3 fuel traps. Two mount on a bracket in front of the thermostat. The base of the bracket fits on the housing with the thermostat. The third one mounts to a bracket coming off the rear valve cover stud.

Pictures 3 & 4: As I don't have a diagram in front of me, I am only guessing that it goes to your oil pressure failure sending unit.

John_Mc
09-11-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm looking at a 74 diagram but it's a bit baffling. Out of the top of the coil there should be 4 wires from 3 points:
1. Big black wire from coil to center of distributor
2. Small black wire from side of coil to distributor
3. Pink/White(Ballast resistor wire) and White/Yellow going from other side of coil to pin connector and starter solenoid respectively. Maybe the PO replaced those two wires with whatever he had available? The blue spade connectors are obviously not original. So maybe it's the ballast resistor wire.
Just guessing here...

DrEntropy
09-11-2008, 06:02 AM
Not that I'd know anything about a Triumph but: A green wire with a black tracer would indicate a power wire intended to go to a grounding device... Oil pressure sending unit or as Doug said, a low pressure warning switch. Look lower, on the engine for one of those devices.

Glad you're back, BTW. :savewave:

BobbyD
09-11-2008, 07:28 AM
In looking at Master's wiring diagram for a '74 TR6, there is no G/B wire (at least it looks G/B) anywhere near the coil. The only G/B wire is attached to the fuel gauge & sender. As John Mc pointed out, the coil should have a K/W (ballast wire) & a W/Y (Starter Relay) on the same coil spade. On the other coil spade is a Black wire going to the distributor.

swift6
09-11-2008, 09:00 AM
If that G/B wire doesn't go to the Oil pressure, see if you have a wire on your temp sensor in the thermostat/waterpump housing. That wire does extend from that particular pigtail in the harness.

TR3driver
09-11-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm going out on a limb here ... that looks to me like a discrete (non-original) ballast resistor with an empty terminal in the last shot. My guess is that the DPO abandoned the resistor wire incorporated in the harness for whatever reason, and just grabbed a green/black wire when adding the discrete ballast in it's place. Note how the other end appears to go to the coil hot terminal.

If that's true, then the coil wire that looks white is the yellow/white to the starter relay (to supply full voltage to the coil while starting).

2wrench
09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Just to comment that I think this green wire is actually solid green.
The black is actually misplaced POR engine enamel that I have not yet
detailed off. Sorry. Planning on opening my computer to this thread,
getting out the books, reading and comparing notes and trying to figure
where it goes Saturday. Seems I read somethng about green wire being a hot wire
to run stuff on the car even while the ignition is off, or some such thing,
but this was not the only choice.

You won't believe it. I had my hood (bonnet) on my bed in the Master
bedroom. When I had compromised space to lay down, I realized just how
much this Triumph is encroaching, you know?? I'm painting the thing and
how it got here is another story that might make this post way too long.

Thanks,

TR3driver
09-11-2008, 11:07 PM
The black is actually misplaced POR engine enamel that I have not yet
detailed off.While I'm sure you know best, it sure looks like a regular stripe to me. That's really clever, how the POR-15 runs right up to the crimp connector, but not onto it ... I couldn't paint that neatly if I was trying!<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Seems I read somethng about green wire being a hot wire
to run stuff on the car even while the ignition is off, or some such thing,[/QUOTE]No, an "always hot" wire would be either brown (unfused) or purple (fused). Green is controlled by the ignition switch (and fused).

AngliaGT
09-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Dennis,

Get it together - &amp; take a drive uo here!

- Doug

2wrench
09-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Not that I'd know anything about a Triumph but: A green wire with a black tracer would indicate a power wire intended to go to a grounding device... Oil pressure sending unit or as Doug said, a low pressure warning switch. Look lower, on the engine for one of those devices.

Glad you're back, BTW. :savewave:

Thanks, Doc, for that kind and warm welcome. Just for the record, we never broke up, we just
took a 15 week vacation.

Cheers, and nice to hear from you as well.

2wrench
09-15-2008, 08:28 AM
I worked on the car this weekend. I unwrapped the green wire with black
stripe (thanks for obvious correction, Randall) and found it was not part
of the wiring harness at all. It seems to be just something added or
something like that. Perusing old photos, not a very good pic in my
bunch but indications are it is always heading over toward the fuse/ballast
area. I think I'll try it on the ballast paddle and hope for the best.

Not quite ready to fire the engine so won't know for a while.

Thanks,

TR3driver
09-15-2008, 12:02 PM
It seems to be just something added or
something like that. Which was my point before. The discrete ballast resistor is what was added along with the non-original wire.

Before it comes time to fire up the engine, you might want to check that the other side of the ballast is getting 12v when the key is on (since that wire will also have been something added). With the points (or whatever) closed, you should see 6-9 volts on the hot side of the coil.

poolboy
09-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Why the wire was there in the first place is anybodys'guess.
On my 74 the ballast wire is a solid core nickel chrome wire, with a reddish woven cover that conceals the pink/ white color of the insulation.
When the engine is running, I get about 10 volts running thru it.

The white/ yellow wire that supplies the full 12 volts while the starter is engaged may have been moved from the starter relay to the fuse box and the fuse with the white wires, to provide 12 volts at all times, when the ignition switch is "ON". But a non-ballasted 3.0 ohm coil such as the Lucas Sport Coil should be used if that's what was done.
If you do have that set up you can really open up those spark plug gaps to take advantage of the 40k volts, that you really don't need.
See:
https://www.vtr.org/maintain/ballast.shtml

BTW, I've removed all if the flame traps with no ill effects, but that's just me.