PDA

View Full Version : Wedge Wedge performance questions

John_Mc
09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
What are the performance differences between a TR8 and a TR8 FI? How about between a TR7 and TR7 FI? Also, I saw a TR7 Spyder advertised for sale with dual carbs. I thought the Spyders were all FI. Until I can find a 12 step recovery program to help me, I check Craigslist every day for Wedges or other unique Triumphs.

DNK
09-10-2008, 04:59 PM
My FI TR7 V8 goes like he... uh ...mad.
Though,mine isn't triumph injected.

Mickey Richaud
09-10-2008, 05:02 PM
TR8 performance?

All I can say is...

WHEEEEEEEE!!!!

Just pulled in the driveway after a run.

Holley, mild cam and headers - otherwise stock.

tdskip
09-10-2008, 05:34 PM
There is a really nice TR8 for sale on eBay locally John - worth the money. Known seller - very good guy.

Check it out, #290258372390 ....

John_Mc
09-10-2008, 07:00 PM
I saw that beauty on C-List, Skip. If I had that much disposable income at the moment I'd be all over it.

You guys are enablers! Don't you realise that I have a problem?!? Dr. Phil would be disappointed!

ObiRichKanobi
09-10-2008, 09:53 PM
My FI Spider runs good and the FI is very reliable. On the runs with the local LBC club, I can keep up with everyone (well, not the TR8s, but they rarely join us on the drive), and try to be at the front, as I don't like being stuck behind some of the slower cars. It pulls good on the mountain grades here in Utah. I will say this though...if my engine ever dies, I'll seriously look at a V8 transplant.

PATR8
09-10-2008, 11:54 PM
my goal the fall I get my kids off to college is to bring my 8 out west and drive the mountians.

tdskip
09-11-2008, 08:14 AM
my goal the fall I get my kids off to college is to bring my 8 out west and drive the mountians.

We'll be waiting for you...

swift6
09-11-2008, 09:05 AM
The FI TR8's had little more horsepower while the carbed cars had a little more torque. Not much difference in performance otherwise. The FI cars can have a few more maintenance issues than the carbed cars. The ECU's in particular. Nothing that can't be repaired, just more issues as they age. Spyder's were available with both carbs and FI. Not sure of the performance difference between the carb vs FI 4 cylinders but I don't thinj it was much unless your talking about the single carb California 4 cylinder cars.

mgb4tim
09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
The FI cars can have a few more maintenance issues than the carbed cars.

What are the maintenance issues with FI? Air filter and plugs...LOL.

No carbs to adjust or dash pots fill, no points to gap, or condenser to replace...

ObiRichKanobi
09-11-2008, 03:00 PM

If you come to Utah, look me up and I'll show you some of the best roads you'll find for LBC driving.

DNK
09-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Maintenance my eye. I have about 4 or 5 sensors and they are over the counter stock. ECMs are a dime a dozen.
Sorry Shawn.

swift6
09-12-2008, 08:45 AM
:iagree: Stock ECU's can be found rather easily. Because they break and the FI gets replaced with a Holley in most cases. Otherwise there are a few important NLA FI pieces that can be a pain when they fail. This is typically true of cars that have sat for too long.

Mickey Richaud
09-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Maintenance issues aside (apples and oranges, truly - depends on personal comfort level), there's just no comparison to the sound of a four-barrel doing its thing when the secondaries kick in!

Still old school here...

Mark Jones
09-12-2008, 11:20 AM
[quote=mgb4timWhat are the maintenance issues with FI? Air filter and plugs...LOL.

No carbs to adjust or dash pots fill, no points to gap, or condenser to replace... [/quote]

FI sounds rather boring, kind of like driving a Toyota :-)

DNK
09-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I'll tell you how boring when I GO FLYING BY YA!
Just the sound of thew exhaust and the air suckin in through this air cleaner. :thumbsup:

https://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/donkelly23/DSCF3007.jpg

swift6
09-12-2008, 10:09 PM
[quote=mgb4timWhat are the maintenance issues with FI? Air filter and plugs...LOL.

No carbs to adjust or dash pots fill, no points to gap, or condenser to replace...

[/quote]

Carbed TR8's (factory set up) do have dashpots to fill but they don't have points to adjust or condesors to replace. :wink: The carbed cars and FI cars were pretty equal in that respect.

mgb4tim
09-12-2008, 10:30 PM

Carbed TR8's (factory set up) do have dashpots to fill but they don't have points to adjust or condesors to replace. :wink: The carbed cars and FI cars were pretty equal in that respect. [/quote]

Mine's a "lowly" 7