PDA

View Full Version : Curse of Captain Hazelwood

mrv8q
09-06-2008, 05:50 PM
So, for the first time in 10 months, I attempted to start up the TR6. This is after pulling the half-shafts and replacing u-joints, checking trailing arm studs, boiling out the radiator, having the starter and alternator rebuilt, pulling the oil pan and checking the thrust washers, having the gas tank cleaned and relined, rebuilding the carbs, replacing all fuel lines, etc; all the usual fun stuff.
After a battery charge and a gallon of gas, priming the carbs, and a healthy pull of the choke, I twisted the key. It fired right up, after about two seconds of cranking. Whew! Instead of idling between 1300-1400 rpm, it settled in at about 850 rpm. Oh, happy day! I slipped it into second gear, and crept the 12 feet to the street. I turned around to look back at the driveway, to look for any leaks, and "Fish Paste!", as Sponge Bob would say. I thought the rear differential had puked all over the driveway. I shut off the car, and looked under. The usual slight wet spot under the front seal; that's not it.
Of course, it's the oil filter, dripping out at a very steady state, five quarts of Pennzoil eventually oozing all over the driveway. Now I know I made sure to pull the dried old o-ring out of there, and put in my best choice of the enclosed new o-rings, and tightened the cannister securely. "Barnacles!", but what a dumb design, placed in an awkward place.
I've had practice with the 3A's oil filter a couple of times with no problems. I'm tempted to pull the canister and try another o-ring, but the only way to test the dumb thing is the add more oil and hope for the best...
I guess my question to the Triumphista of the list; should I go the o-ring and crossed fingers/prayer route, or go for the spin-on type from Moss. Is it any better? Thanks for all suggestions. Here I was, hoping to go for a nice, short spin this afternoon....

Geo Hahn
09-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I, too, evoked the name of Cap'n Hazelwood many times until I finally went with the spin-on. Really, really much better unless you are totally committed to originality.

tdskip
09-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Spin-on can be a pain to fit, but they make things SO much easier.

Just be aware that there is the potential to puke huge amounts of oil if you don't install it properly. Go ahead, ask how I know that....

09-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Spin-on can be a pain to fit, but they make things SO much easier.

Just be aware that there is the potential to puke huge amounts of oil if you don't install it properly. Go ahead, ask how I know that....

And even if it's fitted and fine, if you have an external oil cooler and your sandwich plate works loose, you can rust-proof the whole of the bottom of your car - as far back as the rear swaybar - in no time at all.

To echo tdskip - ask me how I know. Kitty litter does a great job of soaking the oil up off the floor though...

toysrrus
09-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Hi There Kevin,

"SPIN-ON" for sure! It makes life so much easier!

Russ

poolboy
09-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Spin on from BPNW gets my vote with NAPA Gold 1516. If it's for your TR6, you won't be able to mount the adaptor straight up and down vertically. More like in the 7 to 8 o'clock position because of the location of the clutch slave cylinder. Leave yourself room to get the filter wrench on.

mrv8q
09-07-2008, 07:19 PM
:yesnod: Thanks to all, BPNW gets call tomorrow morning.....

DougF
09-08-2008, 08:03 AM
You won't regret it.

crj7driver
09-08-2008, 12:38 PM
I have a spin on adapter I am not using, nor plan to use because of my swap project. I will give it to you for the price of shipping if you want it. It is designed for use with an oil cooler, so you will either need to go that route or simply screw in plugs to negate that function. I believe that will still work, I will take a look at it to make sure you don't need to a bypass line on it.

Good Luck

mrv8q
09-20-2008, 02:57 PM
https://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p52/mrv8q/IMG_0913.jpg

The headline says it all. Installed the spin-on adapter, and am now the proud owner of an ugly-looking, but fully breathing, driving TR6.

Upon installation, I was surprised how little room there is in there. Using the WIX filter, it's very hard up against the top of the oil pan. There's just enough room to position it against the oil pressure relief valve on top, and the frame rail on the bottom. I cut up a spare rad hose for a little NVH protection, needed or not. Also, I had to spin on and and tighten the filter to the adaptor first, and then bolt that assembly to the engine:

https://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p52/mrv8q/IMG_0908.jpg

I might go with a shorter oil filter next time.... of course, at this rate, I'll be changing it after 3,000 miles in 10 years. I thought I'd be firing up this car in September, 2007! Oh well, it's a sweet driving little car. In the immortal words of Johnny Bench, no drips, it runs, no errors!

DNK
09-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Easier to point it down a little more if I remember right.