PDA

View Full Version : Wet left foot?

Crisis
09-02-2008, 09:05 AM
After my last drive I noticed that the toe of my left foot was wet. Fluid loss from clutch master cylinder isn't noticeable yet, however, I'm assuming that is what it will be? Will this just need new seals from a rebuild kit or could this require some other fix? 73 TR6.

Moseso
09-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Only your left foot? Was it raining? If it was raining, you should have a wet lap, wet knees and TWO wet feet.

On a more serious note, if you think that this is brake fluid, keep a very close eye on it. If it's noticeably masking your foot wet, it's leaking pretty good -- and soon, your brakes (or clutch) will fail. It will also be eating up all the paint underneath the master cylinder.

It's impossible for me to tell you whether a rebuild kit is all you need without looking at the cylinder bore. You will have to do that and make that decision.

kodanja
09-02-2008, 11:05 AM
heater core?

TR4
09-02-2008, 11:06 AM
You might also want to make sure the master cylinder cap is on tight. Fluid has splashed out on me when i failed to get it completely sealed. Look to see if you can spot where the leak is happening.

heliguy
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Rusted out scuttle? As was mentioned before, is it brake/clutch fluid or was it water? The scuttle drain tubes get blocked quite often, and a couple of years of old leaves, some dirt and water in there makes for a nice rust hole!

toysrrus
09-03-2008, 05:21 AM
Hi Crisis,

My exp. has been a leaking brake / clutch master cyl.

Best Wishes,

Russ

NickMorgan
09-03-2008, 06:22 AM
If it is brake/clutch fluid, you don't want to be driving it as your feet may slip off the pedals.

Tomster
09-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Interesting that the clutch slave bled out also on my 4A this past week. Could this be a trend?
Glad I wasn't on a ride

Crisis
09-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the responses! I'm going to have a closer look tonight but I'm pretty sure it's brake fluid and not water. Fortunately the fluid is silicone.
Thanks again.