PDA

View Full Version : Fuel and Spark but still not starting

Colin_D
08-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Ok so a few weeks ago my TR6 decided to die a mile from home. The fuel pump seems to work, I'm getting spark but it still won't fire up. I have a Pertronix elec ignition, is there a way to see if that went bad?

Cheers,
Colin

poolboy
08-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Off hand, I'd say if you were getting spark to all your spark plugs, then the Pertronix is doing it's job. This is an oversimplification, but the Pertronix, like points, functions as a switch for the coil to build up and release voltage.
How did you go about testing for spark ?

tdskip
08-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Colin, did she start to sputter and die or just suddenly cut out?

Do you get any starting / coughing when you crank her over or does the starter just spin? Is there spark at all the plugs?

Geo Hahn
08-31-2008, 11:23 AM
...The fuel pump seems to work...

Is this the original pump or an electric? How are you determining that it works.

Now to ask the obvious -- could you be out of gas? Verify visually, not by what that gauge says.

skucera
09-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Colin, did you just fit the PerTronix unit? I put one in my Spitfire yesterday, and I found that it was advanced about 20 more than the failed Allison ignition was. I could barely get my car to start, and the timing light couldn't find the mark way out past the end of the crankshaft scale thingy in the brief moments I could hop out to get to the timing light before the engine died. Once I gave my distributor a mighty twist, it was much easier to start, and it kept running, and I could see my little pulley marks to get it properly timed.

If you've had the PerTronix ignition all along, and you've still got spark and fuel, then some other variable has changed. Do you have a big new vacuum leak? Is your engine still making compression? Is your timing changed? (Uh, yeah, I once forgot to tighten the distributor's hold-down bolt, and I wondered why my performance went to pot over the course of an hour's drive.)

Scott

Tinster
09-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Colin,

How many miles on the Petronix?

Mine failed at under 200 miles and I went
back to points and condenser.

d

TheSearcherMan
09-01-2008, 09:40 AM
If the car was running and stopped. Now it won't start, then, you don't have one or the other, fuel or spark. Go find which one you don't have, and come back.

poolboy
09-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Colin,

How many miles on the Petronix?

Mine failed at under 200 miles and I went
back to points and condenser.

d
Despite Dale's luck or lack thereof with the Pertronix, this is not typical. But then what is typical with the crypt car?